Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I can't stand waiting for the S85D to become CPO!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That is when the moon and the sun lines up financially to make owning the S85D a reality. So now I'm lurking on the CPO consolidator website, try to convince myself I'd be happy with the less range, etc... of the 70D but I know those last few miles will probably be the difference between making it to a charger or calling AAA.

So thanks for reading me rant and who else is out there in my boat waiting for the S85D to hit the CPO market?

That is when the moon and the sun lines up financially to make owning the S85D a reality. So now I'm lurking on the CPO consolidator website, try to convince myself I'd be happy with the less range, etc... of the 70D but I know those last few miles will probably be the difference between making it to a charger or calling AAA.

So thanks for reading me rant and who else is out there in my boat waiting for the S85D to hit the CPO market?

I was. But I decided to go with new, mostly because I wanted dual drive also. If S85 with autopilot is enough for you, check inventory. They have some seriously good deals right now. 85D - you'll need to wait about a year for decent deals on that.

I went through my first Minneapolis winter in my RWD 85 on X-ice snow tires. Granted our winter was less snowy than usual, but I was very pleased with how the car performed. If you want the D for winter weather I would strongly consider an RWD with quality snow tires. You could probably save around $20k, have the car in a week, and have a larger frunk as well as some protection from depreciation.

I've had a Wrangler, a Tacoma 4x4, and a few FWD VW's and Hondas. I'd say only the Tacoma 4x4 was meaningfully better. My girlfriend has a Prius which was on brand new all-seasons and the Tesla was for sure better in snow. Food for thought...you'll be happy either way.

the X isn't quite as sexy as I was hoping, but I hope that some people buy the X to replace their P85D, which will be my next purchase then ;) CPO of course... :(

Exactly my thoughts, the X is not even half as sexy as S. Of course, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so probably some folks will say the reverse.
X will end up putting some S's on the used market lots for sure. But also remember, some tax benefits (especially state specific) may go away next year.
I looked at the depreciations we have now, features we have in the new car - and decided CPO was not for me.
I then started looking at inventories, and it came down to this - wait 8 months for 2-3K discount, and not get exactly what I want.
So I decided, wtf, yolo, bought new. It is a big purchase for me, coming to almost 90K when all is said and done. Should I be spending that much on a car?
I am still not sure to be honest. I'd be happy with a Prius C. I just don't want to spew out hydrocarbons in our air anymore, and most of all I don't want to support the oil economy and all the nastiness they bring to this world.
God has given me enough that I can afford to spend on this, it may not be a sensible financial purchase, but I'll get some karma credits. So I went ahead with it.

oh and plus its a nice car.

Exactly my thoughts, the X is not even half as sexy as S. Of course, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so probably some folks will say the reverse.
X will end up putting some S's on the used market lots for sure. But also remember, some tax benefits (especially state specific) may go away next year.
I looked at the depreciations we have now, features we have in the new car - and decided CPO was not for me.
I then started looking at inventories, and it came down to this - wait 8 months for 2-3K discount, and not get exactly what I want.
So I decided, wtf, yolo, bought new. It is a big purchase for me, coming to almost 90K when all is said and done. Should I be spending that much on a car?
I am still not sure to be honest.
I'd be happy with a Prius C. I just don't want to spew out hydrocarbons in our air anymore, and most of all I don't want to support the oil economy and all the nastiness they bring to this world.
God has given me enough that I can afford to spend on this, it may not be a sensible financial purchase, but I'll get some karma credits. So I went ahead with it.

There are a lot of people like that on the forum (me included).

As long as you are meeting your other life goals, I don't see the point in hoarding money. You can't take it to the grave with you. Note that I said as long as you meet your other goals. If you are trying to leave an inheritance for others, donate to charity, retire early, etc. these all count as life goals. Spending on a Tesla after setting up these goals for success is fine.

I am still not sure to be honest. I'd be happy with a Prius C. I just don't want to spew out hydrocarbons in our air anymore, and most of all I don't want to support the oil economy and all the nastiness they bring to this world.

Same goes for me. I do have an X reservation. Once it's unveiled, I'll either stick with it or go for an inventory model...or maybe a brand new 70D. I'm sure some of my friends will say I'll never "break even" on my purchase, but it's not about the gas savings. It's much bigger than that.

I'm waiting for a good deal on inventory S85D. No desire for the Model X or other model S version.

Model X - Probably too expensive and I don't like tall cars. Pass...
Model S85 - 2WD, inefficient. Pass...
CPO S85/P85 - 2WD, inefficient, used batteries. Pass...
Model S70D - much less HWY range than the 85D. I predict closer to 50 miles loss compared to the S85D in same condition. But more efficient in the CITY which I don't care about. Pass...
Model S60 - Worthless to me. Pass...
Model 3 - Who knows when this will come out. I'm not waiting. Rather be enjoying the electric fun now if possible.

I'm waiting for a good deal on inventory S85D. No desire for the Model X or other model S version.

Model S70D - much less HWY range than the 85D. I predict closer to 50 miles loss compared to the S85D in same condition. But more efficient in the CITY which I don't care about. Pass...
Model 3 - Who knows when this will come out. I'm not waiting. Rather be enjoying the electric fun now if possible.

No2DinosaurFuel, I'm fairly close with your opinions above. Except that if I'm spending this kind of money, I want to get EXACTLY what I want instead of settling for an inventory car that might be close to what i want.

I'll add though that the new (and inventory vehicles) are eligible for the $7,500 federal tax credit. I figured I could get the air suspension, upgraded sound system, and almost the autopilot features with that!

Plus, the 8 year / unlimited mileage warranty.

- - - Updated - - -

So I guess my response to the OP would be ... DON'T! Don't wait. Order what you want now if you can afford it.

I went back and forth on the 70D and 85D for weeks. Finally, I got to the point of if I'm doing this, I'm all in - on the efficiency/range end of it. Ordered a loaded 85D. (I don't think the bang for the buck is there on the P85D when you factor in the range and added cost)

luckily for me, my frugality usually wins over my impatience especially when we are talking tens of thousands new vs. CPO. But if that inventory car with 15k off plus the 7.5k tax credit comes along, my wife will not be happy with me :)

So I guess my response to the OP would be ... DON'T! Don't wait. Order what you want now if you can afford it.

I went back and forth on the 70D and 85D for weeks. Finally, I got to the point of if I'm doing this, I'm all in - on the efficiency/range end of it. Ordered a loaded 85D. (I don't think the bang for the buck is there on the P85D when you factor in the range and added cost)

what is the best inventory deal that you guys have come across so far? what is considered a great inventory car deal?

All of the inventory ones that I've seen were P85D and were pretty loaded...so they were still priced well over $100k. I'm just looking for an inventory S85D or S70 and don't need all of the bells and whistles. Maybe I'll stop by again this weekend and see what's available.

You're using the word inefficient in conjunction with an electric car? Seriously?

According to Tesla the difference between an S85 RWD and an S85D is 5 miles EPA, which will translate to about 1 mile in real life. Personally I would jump on a CPO S85 with autopilot if I was the OP.