Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Notice Gumball 3000 Opportunity

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

jackbowers

Jack Bowers
Aug 23, 2009
There's a Tesla Team needing a car and driver for today's leg of the Gumball 3000 car rally, which goes from SF to LA. You car will be covered with decals and you'll get to partipate with about 80 other high-end exotics that were flown into Reno airport yesterday. I got these guys from Reno to SF yesterday and while this rally is not as structured as others I've done, it is definitely bucket-list quality and it is fun being the only Tesla participant. Warning: most insurance companies do not cover open road rally incidents and after yesterday I can see why.

If interested please contact Karta Healy ([email protected]; 917-539-9896).

uh it can't be done. SF to LA is around 383 miles. Not only does that exceed the range of a Model S on a single charge, if the car attempts to speed the range will be drastically further reduced. Set cruise control @100mph and you'll only get around 130-140 miles range on a 100% charge. So I have no idea how you plan on having a Tesla Model S participate when it has to stop every other hour to charge at superchargers a few times during the rally (effectively putting it in last place unless grandma's driving all the other cars at 10mph).

Last edited:
uh it can't be done. SF to LA is around 383 miles. Now only does that exceed the range of a Model S on a single charge, if the car attempts to speed the range will be drastically further reduced. Set cruise control @100mph and you'll only get around 130-140 miles range on a 100% charge. So I have no idea how you plan on having a Tesla Model S participate when it has to stop every other hour to charge at superchargers a few times during the rally (effectively putting it in last place unless grandma's driving all the other cars at 10mph).
I think the point is that it's never even really been possible for an EV to come close to competing before, not that it actually has any chance of winning.

I think the event is more of a rally / show, not a race. But, I suppose the crowds would start to thin, and the excitement reduced if you came in at the tail end long after others already got there.

Could recharge at Buttonwillow:

Gumball3000 - Rally

Thursday 28th May

Cars Depart // San Francisco

Time: 09:00 - 10:00

Location: The Civic Centre Plaza, Polk St, San Francisco, 94102
City: San Francisco, CA

After a well deserved rest in the beautiful city of San Francisco, the Gumball 3000 drivers will jump into their cars and drive onward to Los Angeles - via a very special checkpoint...

Checkpoint // Buttonwillow Raceway

Time: 13:00 - 15:30

Location: Buttonwillow Raceway Park, 24551 Lerdo Hwy, Buttonwillow, CA 93206, United States
City: Buttonwillow

Gumball 3000 alongside Dodge Cars will take over Button Willow Raceway for it's lunch time checkpoint en-route to LA.

Drivers can expect to have access to a rather special collection of Vipers supplied by Dodge to enjoy on the circuit, as well as having the opportunity to put their own cars through their paces on the world famous track.

But as I read this, the cars are probably already massing up in Buttonwillow, so too late if someone hasn't already joined in.

- - - Updated - - -

Damn, I'm in Vegas.

Well, you can see the finish tomorrow:

Friday 29th May

The Finish Line! // Gumball 3000 Festival, Las Vegas

Time: 15:00 - 00:00
City: Las Vegas, NV

Gumball 3000 Las Vegas Festival.

It's Friday night, it's Las Vegas, and the 2015 Gumball 3000 finish line is in town taking over the MGM resorts village on the Las Vegas Strip.
The Gumball 3000 cars will arrive into the Village from as early as 4pm parking up on display alongside some spectacular display cars and exhibits. Along with the car displays, on Friday night, you can expect to see performances by DJ Dallas Green, The Alchemist and deadmau5.
Don't miss out - purchase your tickets: http://www.ticketmaster.com/gumball3000

Saturday 30th May

Gumball 3000 Festival, Las Vegas

Time: 15:00 - 00:00

City: Las Vegas, NV

At Gumball 3000, we don't beleive in half measures, so we're making our event last not one, but two days!
Day two at MGM Village Resorts allows you to see all Gumball 3000 cars on display, a live Skate Demo From Tony Hawk, and performances on stage by DJ Muggs of Cypress Hill, Bun B, EVE & Diplo.
Purchase your tickets here: http://www.ticketmaster.com/gumball3000

Some other Gumball 3000 links:
P85D in the 2015 Gumball 3000
Twelve Reasons Why The Gumball 3000 Is Over. Dead. Really. Finally.

Last edited:
Jack's car getting dressed up at the Reno airport, below.

Props to Jack - I contacted him late yesterday and said, 'You'll need to be at the airport in an hour & then drive to SF'. His response (without hesitation): 'Okay! ....What a trooper.

IMG_1708.JPG