Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85D No Longer Requires 21" Turbine Wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Design Studio, as of May 28th no longer requires the P85D to be configured with 21" Turbine Wheels.
The 19" spoked and Cyclone wheels are now an option once again.

The 21" mandated restriction was a short lived - one week.

Does Tesla Motors employ Focus Groups to understand their customers? I'm thinking not so much...

Last edited:
Seems pretty clear that the change to require 21" wheels was deliberate (because they added something saying 'requires 21" wheels' to the spec panel for the P85D in the main design studio) and that the change back to allowing 19s is also deliberate (because they've removed that phrase again).

Or someone made a mistake; thought the decision was one thing, when it was something else. Or someone decided on this without checking higher up. There's not always a conspiracy and it's not always about us.

Totally Agree.... Both the restriction and easing were deliberate IMHO....

Work of the UnFocused Group....

Same group that in in charge of the Center Console.... Haaa

In any case, we are back to "Normal"... it gives me reason to edit the WiKi....

Also just noticed that the T-Sportline TST Grey 19" Turbines/Cyclones are back in stock after a few months of backordered status.

I will probably run 21" Turbines in the summer and 19" T-Sportlines in the winter with appropriate summer and winter tires each set of wheels.

Last edited:
well this is good news, but now im on the fence since i got so used to the look of the dark grey turbines while doing my weekly "check for price changes" build!

if you like them so much (as I did), then go with aftermarket 19" grey turbines (built specifically for Tesla to OEM spec): TST Tesla Aftermarket Wheel 19x8.5 much cheaper, look great, and minus all the negatives of 21s :)

I really wonder what it's like to be interested in Tesla, but not know what most on this forum know. These snafus, though short-lived, have to affect browsers to their site. Like, did someone hit the site, go "what the heck, I don't want 21" wheels!" and leave?

I really wonder what it's like to be interested in Tesla, but not know what most on this forum know. These snafus, though short-lived, have to affect browsers to their site. Like, did someone hit the site, go "what the heck, I don't want 21" wheels!" and leave?

I really do not think so.... however, I do feel that when Tesla makes something "mandatory" or even "suggested" they should back that up with some really good technical reasons.

Some of us here like to think of ourselves as technically oriented, and as such we want the data which led to the design implementation. Tesla can go a long way with current and future owners by taking that informative stance and err on the side of providing us with information.

Examples of this lack of information are very broad based and pervasive across Tesla Motors as I see it. This may appear to be condemning by we rabid TMC members, but really, when you think about it, it must be viewed by Tesla as an opportunity.

As an example, the Design Studio should have a MORE INFORMATION link next to each and every option. Clicking that link would bring you to both prose which fully describes the options as well a still photos and video which shows the option fully, including how it appears in various colors or lighting situations. Also views with and without the option. I think we all would agree that this would be just wonderful.

I was really hot to order when the new Blue came out, but then they screwed with the tech and premium packages. Then they switched that around and I started wondering....do they know what they are doing? I had cold feet and figured to wait and see.

I start warming to the idea of ordering again a little over a week ago, and they make 21" rims mandatory, and I go cold again. Now they make the change back, and I'm left wondering...what's next? Will they drop the premium package for something else? Is Pink Alcantara going to be required on all P85D's?

It's going to take some consistency and a lack of stupid moves for me to get warmed up again.

There was a lengthy discussion topic about this on the Tesla Corporate Web site forum. I'm glad they decided to let customers select which wheel option best suits them. I personally would not have wanted the 21" wheels even if they were a free option so I am really glad the 19" wheels are available again.

Totally Agree.... Both the restriction and easing were deliberate IMHO....

Work of the UnFocused Group....

Same group that in in charge of the Center Console.... Haaa

In any case, we are back to "Normal"... it gives me reason to edit the WiKi....

Also just noticed that the T-Sportline TST Grey 19" Turbines/Cyclones are back in stock after a few months of backordered status.

I will probably run 21" Turbines in the summer and 19" T-Sportlines in the winter with appropriate summer and winter tires each set of wheels.

How will you deal with the change of radius on the rears? Will TM reprogram the air suspension height and do a wheel alignment if you're fitting non-OEM winter wheels?