Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OVMS Cooldown Alternating 70A/13A. Huh?!?!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last night I decided to enable ACC on OVMS in my roadster, so that I could have the car run a cooldown cycle upon plugging in and prior to charging. This functionality works great. But I'm seeing something really wacky if I manually initiate a cooldown via SMS after the automatic cooldown has completed.

Say for example I plug in with the battery at 37C and the automatic cooldown runs for its 60 minutes and only gets the battery down to 34C. If I look at the app and see this, I might then send an SMS to run another cooldown cycle. When I do so, the car goes into this endless loop of alternating between charging limits at 13A and 70A. I've seen this behavior both at home using a UMC and at work using a 208V-30A J1772 EVSE.

Has anyone seen this sort of behavior or have any explanation as to what might cause it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Pretty sure the OVMS has to "trick" the car into cooling down.

The way the Tesla Tattler (a predecessor to the OVMS) does it is to trigger a Range Mode charging cycle at minimum charging current. The car starts up the A/C cooling immediately, but then it cycles off after a while. As soon as this happens the gadget detects that the A/C has shut off, and aborts the charging cycle. Then it restarts the Range Mode charge again, and the A/C compressor starts up. Lather, rinse, repeat.

In other words, it's probably normal.

FYI Tattler was updated when we learned that you don't need to add cycles to the charging contactors with stop/start charge.
The algorithm is start charging in range mode (only mode where battery cooling occurs normally) limit 13A (minimum allowable current for minimal power consumption) then monitor the cooling cycles and stop either on target temperature, time or # of cooling cycles. I have mine set to 25C and 45mins which works well in mild San Diego.

Pretty sure the OVMS has to "trick" the car into cooling down.

The way the Tesla Tattler (a predecessor to the OVMS) does it is to trigger a Range Mode charging cycle at minimum charging current. The car starts up the A/C cooling immediately, but then it cycles off after a while. As soon as this happens the gadget detects that the A/C has shut off, and aborts the charging cycle. Then it restarts the Range Mode charge again, and the A/C compressor starts up. Lather, rinse, repeat.

In other words, it's probably normal.