Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging options on Maui??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am thinking about bringing my Tesla from the Mainland here to Maui, but live in a condo with a parking garage so won't be able to set up charging at home like I did in my garage in California. What are the options for charging on Maui? I know there are no Tesla supercharger stations, but are there free public chargers? Pay chargers? I see more and more Teslas on the island (yay!), but don't know if everyone has a home-charging setup. I see that a few hotels supposedly have chargers here in Wailea where I live, but says they are restricted to registered guests, which is understandable.

I am thinking about bringing my Tesla from the Mainland here to Maui, but live in a condo with a parking garage so won't be able to set up charging at home like I did in my garage in California. . . .

You can if you want to. Like CA, your condo is not allowed to prevent you from installing an outlet or charging station at your parking spot. I'm assuming you have an assigned spot. It's just a matter of how expensive the installation will be.

http://hawaiicondolaw.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/2010-Legislative-Update.pdf

You can email Cheryl, the owner advisor here on Oahu. [email protected]
They have a lot of events on Maui and even had a service technician there so may be able to point you to some public chargers.

In regards to installing your own charger, there have been instances where the HOA approves the installation but there might not be the right electrical infrastructure to accommodate it cheaply.

Plugshare is your best bet for looking at the charging stations on Maui.
I don't have any of my EVs at my vacation rental on maui (just an old gas car) but I have been watching the charging station installs. It's getting better but not real easy to only charge at public stations. There are still a few free stations but the majority now charge from .50 to 2.20 and hour with a DC fast charge closer to 7.50. Electricity is expensive on the Island (just like gas). Maui Electric starts at 9 cents per kwh and quickly rises to 35 cents per kwh.

The original level 2 chargers on Maui were operated by BetterPlace. When they went under, those sites were taken over by OptConnect who charge $2.20 and hour. You'll get about 5 kwh on those. Electric Vehicle Charging Systems by OpConnect | 503-477-5742

Their are a growing number of DC fast-chargers run by JumpStartMaui Home - JUMPSmartMaui - JUMPSmartMaui Their membership is $15 a month but I don't know how much they charge for a session.

You can if you want to. Like CA, your condo is not allowed to prevent you from installing an outlet or charging station at your parking spot. I'm assuming you have an assigned spot. It's just a matter of how expensive the installation will be.

http://hawaiicondolaw.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/2010-Legislative-Update.pdf

You can email Cheryl, the owner advisor here on Oahu. [email protected]
They have a lot of events on Maui and even had a service technician there so may be able to point you to some public chargers.

In regards to installing your own charger, there have been instances where the HOA approves the installation but there might not be the right electrical infrastructure to accommodate it cheaply.

thanks, nanimac:smile: I was about to say the same thing. the condo board can not deny your request to install a charger. of course they may have certain restrictions or other fine print you need to overcome. My board approved my charger installation 2.5 years ago and I am probably going to be waiting another 2 before it can get installed.:crying: the problem is that the parking structures for many condos were only equipped with sufficient electricity for basic lighting and a charging station needs a tiny bit more amperage than the lighting.:rolleyes: If you are in a smaller condo and the parking spot is right out in front, then you will probably have better luck than me (in a high rise condo with parking garage.) if you take a look on some of the older threads, I know that they had some nice examples of condo curbside charger installations.

Thanks everyone for all the input! It has been so helpful!

Scronce, thanks for the electric rate info - it is interesting to compare it to what we are getting through the SoCal Edison plan here in SoCal.

You have probably already seen this, but Maui Electric has great spot on their website that lays out the various charging options and rates very well: http://www.mauielectric.com/meco/Cl...g/Electric-Vehicles?cpsextcurrchannel=1#tabs2

@mahalo321, living on Maui, I can speak from experience. There are still some free public charging stations on Maui (Home Depot, Kihei Maui Brewing), but they aren't exactly fast, at about 18 miles of range per hour. The CHAdeMO stations are really the best bet, but you need the $450 Tesla adapter, and to talk JumpSmartMaui into letting you join (mostly restricted to Leaf owners). There is a $15 monthly fee, but that had included unlimited usage. I live in a condo with no garage, and have a very creative method for charging at home (very long extension cord), so I still use public chargers.

There are still some free public charging stations on Maui (Home Depot, Kihei Maui Brewing), but they aren't exactly fast, at about 18 miles of range per hour.
There is also one at Whole Foods on Hana Hwy. Be prepared to wait for the Leaf-ers!

There are two pay chargers that are very reasonable at only 50 cents/hour. One is off Dairy Rd next to the Ohana Fuels. It is rarely used. The other is in Wailuku.

The CHAdeMO stations are really the best bet, but you need the $450 Tesla adapter, and to talk JumpSmartMaui into letting you join (mostly restricted to Leaf owners).

I talked to them when they were first starting up. They were accepting only Leafs. Hopefully that will change soon.

PlugShare - EV Charging Station Map - Find a place to charge your car! is the best place to find charging. I use it on the mainland a lot.

Bill