Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vampire drain after fully charged and still plugged in.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is it normal for a small amount of drain after the car is fully charged (but left plugged in)?

I fully charged the car on Saturday, did not drive it Sunday, and on Monday morning I was down about 6 miles of range from my fully charged notification (228 miles when notified, 222 miles when I left a day in a half later). In the charge meter, there was a gap between where I was charged and the charge target line. The car was plugged in the full time and the screen said fully charged.

Being a little more aware of this, this morning I looked and it also dropped 2 miles overnight after fully charging.

Is this normal?

My car seems to go down 8-9 rated miles feeding the Vampire, then charges back up, repeat. Depending on the power saving settings, connection, the drain time can vary, but it seems to recharge every 8-9, usually 9 rated miles.

Is it normal for a small amount of drain after the car is fully charged (but left plugged in)?

I fully charged the car on Saturday, did not drive it Sunday, and on Monday morning I was down about 6 miles of range from my fully charged notification (228 miles when notified, 222 miles when I left a day in a half later). In the charge meter, there was a gap between where I was charged and the charge target line. The car was plugged in the full time and the screen said fully charged.

Being a little more aware of this, this morning I looked and it also dropped 2 miles overnight after fully charging.

Is this normal?
Not to get too far off the topic but I have two questions for you;
1. Why would you fully charge your vehicle and then not drive it? (Or did you mean you charged it to top of Daily level?)
2. Why would you not drive it for a whole day? (Big smile on this question.)

It's been a few firmware versions ago for me, but a while back when on vacation, I noticed that my car would "top up" to the tune of 2.5 kWh every other day while I was away. I have a dedicated meter on my car's charging circuit and could see this in the logs.

I'll be able to report back to see if this vampire drain has changed with the new firmware 6.2 .
I'm leaving for 3 weeks and I'll have my car at 50% SOC and plugged in. Charge limit will be set at 50%.
I'll see how many km are lost before it charges up.
I don't suspect it will charge often.

I'll be able to report back to see if this vampire drain has changed with the new firmware 6.2 .
I'm leaving for 3 weeks and I'll have my car at 50% SOC and plugged in. Charge limit will be set at 50%.
I'll see how many km are lost before it charges up.
I don't suspect it will charge often.

Also let us know how you have your Energy Settings set. Normally I run my car with Energy Savings Off, Always Connected. If I was going to be away for a week or more, I might be inclined to turn it On and untick the "Always Connected" box just to save a bit of power.

I wish it were possible to program the car when to STOP charging rather than when to START charging, and let the car's computer figure out when to START based on the charge limit I've indicated as well as when I want it to STOP.

Meaning, if you park the car in the garage the night before and it's at say 198 miles on battery, and you're charging to 90% (which on my car is 234 miles on battery), then it'd be nice if I could program the charge to STOP around 7am. To minimize vampire drain. So when I'm ready to roll in the morning, I have the full 234 miles.

I wish it were possible to program the car when to STOP charging rather than when to START charging, and let the car's computer figure out when to START based on the charge limit I've indicated as well as when I want it to STOP.

Meaning, if you park the car in the garage the night before and it's at say 198 miles on battery, and you're charging to 90% (which on my car is 234 miles on battery), then it'd be nice if I could program the charge to STOP around 7am. To minimize vampire drain. So when I'm ready to roll in the morning, I have the full 234 miles.

In northern areas, there's advantage to this in the winter as well. The battery will be warm from charging when you're ready to leave and you won't waste as much energy heating the pack when you head out.

I have a rough idea of how long each 10% of my charge takes, and just do a little math to figure out when it should start. I then set the timer accordingly. It's a pain, and even our company Volt's timer can be set based on Rates (to take advantage to TOU) and departure time. Maybe some day...

Also let us know how you have your Energy Settings set. Normally I run my car with Energy Savings Off, Always Connected. If I was going to be away for a week or more, I might be inclined to turn it On and untick the "Always Connected" box just to save a bit of power.

You have your car setup like I do , but I am planning to change it to turn on Energy savings and uncheck always connected. I figure it makes the most sense when going away for a while.

This is a strange feature if they intended this way....

i had had set to start charge at 10:00 PM to charge up to 210 range. Once it hit that, it'll stop charging. The next day vampire drain to down to 208, time come it start again. By the third day, it wouldn't auto start charging unless I physically remove the charger and replug it back in.

this happened a few times....once I left it for a few days and it wouldn't auto charge so vamprie drain it down to 198 range....

This is a strange feature if they intended this way....

i had had set to start charge at 10:00 PM to charge up to 210 range. Once it hit that, it'll stop charging. The next day vampire drain to down to 208, time come it start again. By the third day, it wouldn't auto start charging unless I physically remove the charger and replug it back in.

this happened a few times....once I left it for a few days and it wouldn't auto charge so vamprie drain it down to 198 range....

While I was away for 5 weeks, I had the car programmed to start charging at 12:15 AM with the end point at 123 miles. Every 3 days, I got a notification on my iPhone app that the car started charging about 9-10 miles below end point but in each instance always charged back up to the pre-set end point. Every 3 days like clockwork.