Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does window tint shop need Tesla experience to do our cars?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm having a hard time visualizing how the side windows get tinted, as they drop automatically when the door is opened. How hard is our car to tint? Should I find a shop thas has worked on many Teslas before, or will any highly-rated tint shop do a great job on a Model S?

Thanks for your advice.

I'm having a hard time visualizing how the side windows get tinted, as they drop automatically when the door is opened. How hard is our car to tint? Should I find a shop thas has worked on many Teslas before, or will any highly-rated tint shop do a great job on a Model S?

Thanks for your advice.

Don't worry, any experienced shop will know how to handle frameless windows that are pretty common anyway.

Basically, you just need to simulate that the door is closed using a pen in the latch, while the door is actually open. Just don't slam the door closed in that state because the window will hit the chrome frame... Then you just need to simulate a "open the door" action using the door handle.

Know the Film your looking for, the company, and get the warranty in writing from the manufacture. A good installer can do any car correctly. Don't let them learn on your Tesla. We do the front Windshield also.

We use 3M Crystalline for autos, Prestige for homes, 3M Pro Series and Xpel Paint Protection Films. MasterShieldprotection.com

DSC05966.jpg
DSC05906.jpg
DSC05952.jpg

I got 40% installed today and subjectively I would say my night vision improved. The Model S (new on all, or older with tech package) has electrochromatic mirrors that darken against road glare, so that was great, but the road glare still seeped into the car and would cause my retinas to contract and reduce night vision. Tonight I had an SUV behind me and my eyes remained dialated to see the details around me. Note, this is subjective, unscientific, and your mileage may vary.

When adding window tint, most people want dark tint with the idea to block heat, stop Glare etc... Then driving at night suddenly you realize it's hard to see out of your windows and your uncomfortable driving. Hard to see when maneuvering, people in crosswalks... (old school technology)
Today's high end Tints do the work of Blocking Heat, Reducing Glare, with the Highest Visual Clarity without having to add darkness. Try driving at night with dark sunglasses on. (Don't do it, it's not safe)
We use 3M Crystalline film here at MasterShield for all the above reasons. Crystalline has film from Clear to 40%. (% numbers means the amount of light the film lets come through) Most cars we use 70% including windshields because it takes care of all the above concerns, Heat Blockage, Glare, UV Protection without being seen, or changing the look of your car. We are proud to offer 3M Crystalline films. 3M is the leader, and has always been known World Wide for Quality, Warranty, and 3M's attention to detail and support. 3M invented window tint way back in the 60's and now uses today's technology in manufacturing Crystalline.
This is basic information. Whichever film you decide to purchase, it needs to fill your needs not the installers. (higher end films like Crystalline are difficult to install) When it comes to price and tint, you will get what you pay for. Window Tint is not just tint anymore. When 3M made Crystalline with 220 layers to reduce Heat, UV, and Glare, and help secure your car's windows, they did it for those reasons. The end result choice is yours of the type and manufacture of the film on your windows, and it's exactly what you wanted, works the hardest for you and will look the best the whole time you own it.
MasterShield is proud to use 3M film, we install it with the idea, no one knows it's on your car.

Know the Film your looking for, the company, and get the warranty in writing from the manufacture. A good installer can do any car correctly. Don't let them learn on your Tesla. We do the front Windshield also.

We use 3M Crystalline for autos, Prestige for homes, 3M Pro Series and Xpel Paint Protection Films. MasterShieldprotection.com

View attachment 82248View attachment 82250View attachment 82249

1) How long does it take to tint the model s?

2) Is an appt required?

I haven't done mine, but am considering it. I agree with the comment above about not letting a shop learn on my car and so asked my local Tesla Service Center if they had any recommendations. They did, but I just haven't followed up yet.

With respect to the side windows and the fact that they drop a bit... don't tint shops remove the inside door panel to expose more of the glass?

I got my car done today at a local shop and went with 35% 3M Prestige which is a ceramic tint. I chose Prestige largely because I like the smoky/dark look and because I didn't like the color tint (bluish-purple) on the Crystalline film. It took the shop about 2 hours or so to do my car. I believe with Prestige, the next darker option that they had was 15% which is a bit too low in my opinion and would likely catch the attention of the police where I am. If you are concerned about heat or IR, keep in mind that you can always add an extra layer of 90% Crystalline on the rear hatch (or even the front windshield) to give you extra heat reduction, and if you put Crystalline on top of Prestige, you won't get the color tint effect.

As for familiarity with Teslas, I would suggest you ask whether they have done Teslas before just to be sure they are familiar with how the windows work -- the shop I used knew their stuff as they told me how they handle Tesla windows without my asking. They did not need to remove any panels to install, and my install looks factory. If they aren't familiar with Teslas, you can show them how to keep the glass in its up position by pushing the latch down with a pen or screwdriver (or a finger), just make sure they release the glass by pulling on the door handle when they are done so they don't slam the door shut with the glass in its up position.

I had mine tinted yesterday, using FormulaOne Pinnacle series. It took them 1/2 a day and I made an appointment in advance. Thus far, I'm very happy with it. We, too, had concerns about night vision but based upon what I've seen thus far, it's going to be fine. We chose the "clear" for the windshield, 30% on the sides, and 15% on the rear.

• Disagree
Reactions: Piney999
I am getting mine done today. The company is refusing ro do the front windshield; Apparently when the dash gets wet the leather swells and looks crappy until it dries out again. They had a few scares and have decided to no longer do the front windshield.

Has anyone else heard of this? Is there a way to resolve it?

Going to a shop that knows Teslas, or specialized in them, is a great value for the consumer. Next would be the skill of the installer and the reputation of the shop. If you line that up correctly, you're also almost guaranteed you'll get some of the best material on the market too.

Don't get so caught up on tint brand, rather, the monkey behind the blade and knowing if anything ever goes wrong, the shop will stand behind the work is far more important than the brand of film.

Doing front windshield is not a problem if the installer is experienced.

With Photosync 35 installed all the way around except for the windshield (Photosync 75, which is near invisible), I concur that glare is greatly reduced and my eyes notice the difference, day and night. Now, "greatly" is a subjective term; the windshield tint expectation was to reduce heat through that glass by 50% and glare by 20%. I don't know about the heat rejection, but glare is definitely lessened.