Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wow, it's really quick.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not a formal review, and still within the first 24 hours of ownership. Just thought I'd share my thoughts since everyone talks about how the p85d is insane from 0-60.

it's also really really quick from 60+.

I was driving in sport mode this morning to work, doing a casual 64 mph. Decided to just give the accelerator a little 'push', nothing crazy. In a blink I was at 80 and definitely felt the car MOVE. It was awesome

The car is awesome. Sure it's not as 'insane' as it is from 0-60, but it's extremely quick and awesome still IMO. A great thrill to drive and those on the fence, be assured it's an amazing car and not just for its 0-60 time.

R

I'm so glad to finally see someone write how happy they are with performance between 30 and 70 and above 60.

Enjoy reading these positive threads, there has been far too much number scrutiny about the p85d recently.

Great car, glad you like it!

I didn't test it from 60, but was very impressed and thoroughly enjoyed how quickly it accelerated from ~30. Got a pretty big "Wow" and laugh out of the passengers a few times with that. Definitely a huge benefit, imho.

Videos capturing the reactions in the following link. No view of he speedometer, but think you can get a sense for those spots in the drive: Tesla P85D Test Drive Reactions (5 Original Videos) | CleanTechnica

Last edited:
I didn't test it from 60, but was very impressed and thoroughly enjoyed how quickly it accelerates from ~30. Got a pretty big "Wow" and laugh out of the passengers a few times with that. Definitely a huge benefit, imho.

60 - x (not posting on a public forum) is phenomenal too for a decently available/affordable street car. Though I'm coming over from an SUV that was even heavier than the Model S, so it isn't hard to have great acceleration here. But I've had to teach myself to be gentle on the throttle on highway overtakes and remember to watch the speedo!

Yeah, I admittedly wasn't carefully watching the speedo... would have to get used to that. The car just leaps. I think the warning to pay close attention to nearby drivers who may not realize or hear how fast you are accelerating is quite important. As save as the car is, I think no one sane wants to be in a collision.

So far, my greatest moment has been 30-70 to merge onto the Interstate. Wow it just flies! And I only have an S85!

The S85 has maybe the best, flattest, longest lasting, torque curves of all the Model S's, IMO. Very usable. Not abrupt, but still quick as a Carrera down low. About as much highway roll-on acceleration as all the other 85s, up high. What's not to like?

Not a formal review, and still within the first 24 hours of ownership. Just thought I'd share my thoughts since everyone talks about how the p85d is insane from 0-60.

it's also really really quick from 60+.

I was driving in sport mode this morning to work, doing a casual 64 mph. Decided to just give the accelerator a little 'push', nothing crazy. In a blink I was at 80 and definitely felt the car MOVE. It was awesome

The car is awesome. Sure it's not as 'insane' as it is from 0-60, but it's extremely quick and awesome still IMO. A great thrill to drive and those on the fence, be assured it's an amazing car and not just for its 0-60 time.

R

I heard from a very trusted source that the P85D also accelerates pretty solidly up to 200km/hr. And that it's starts to dog a bit after that. Even at 200 it's very smooth and solid; nothing feels like it's screaming away or even working too hard. Again, so I'm told. :)

And it loses the least amount of power as the charge decreases.

Well, when it is the slowest, it will have the "longest" curve since time is on the X axis, right? One could argue the S60 is better, flatter, and longer than the S85 then using that logic.

They are all fantastic cars. As Cyclone always says, as long as it says, T-E-S-L-A on it, you're golden!