Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Impact of Montreal Protocol on Repairing the Ozone Hole

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Auzie

Tree Hugger Member
Jul 29, 2013
Sydney
Article in SMH, Model shows what ozone layer would look like without Montreal Protocol

An ozone hole larger than Australia would have opened up over the Arctic if we had continued to use CFC for the last three decades.

In 1987, countries agreed to Montreal Protocol which restricted the use of harmful ozone depleting chemicals.

It is expected that the ozone hole will be fully repaired by 2050.

Well done everyone, team effort yields good results.

The article references study published in Nature Communications, Quantifying the ozone and ultraviolet benefits already achieved by the Montreal Protocol

Attachments

• WithoutMP.jpg
    WithoutMP.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 837
  • WithMP.jpg
    WithMP.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 219
NOTE: 1987 and above report 2015 and now, surprise, surprise it is more complicated than we originally thought. And is usual new things discovered largely by accident. I find fascinating and hope you find informative as well. I think 2016

2016 ?? - WTF; these academics don't DATE anything?? see the 2016 in below description

Climate Science Breakfast with James Anderson (2016). EPS/SEAS Climate Science Breakfast: “Coupled Feed backs in the Climate Structure That Set the Time Scale for Irreversible Change: Arctic Isotopes to Stratospheric Radicals" with James Anderson, Philip S. Weld Professor of Atmospheric Chemistry,

Harvard University. Harvard on Climate Change https://www.harvard.edu/tackling-clim...

Release https://vimeo.com/126306925
You may find at the above link, more interesting videos from Harvard on Climate Change HUCE
Harvard University Center for Environment (HUCE)

[Harvard report claims little to no methane CH4 released from Deep Water Horizon Oil Spill - wonder who paid for that study and how much do I trust the professors numbers - in my case, not much.

Seems from 2015, much has changed, and to me it show why Harvard continues to become more irrelevant all the time. Protect the elites, care not for the rest of us. Sad.

Last edited:
Seems the Ozone hole is the largest ever. I'm not sure where the optimism is coming from? Just People that can't face up to the fact that they have failed?? Looking to the "bright side?" anyway, below is a fine documentary: 2015 - has all research stopped since 2015? has it ended since Trump elected? probably.