Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wrong location?!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One time after a software update, my car thought it was somewhere in South Africa. I first noticed because the clock was way off. This was right when I picked up my car from the service center, so I went back and we tried screen resets which did not fix it, so the tech went into the service menu and did some reset from in there which does an even deeper reboot than the steering wheel reboot apparently because the problem was fixed after it came back up. Something obviously had not come back properly after the upgrade and needed a good cold restart. It might have resolved itself eventually.

I noticed something similar yesterday for the first time. Was in a parking garage where the app usually reports the location correctly, but it was off my about 1/2 mile yesterday. I assumed the car lost its GPS fix, but maybe something else was going on yesterday.

Me Too!

I've had this problem a handful of times since I purchased my car. It persists as I drive, which makes me think it's not a GPS lock issue. Here's what I notice:

• Google map car location is a few miles away from actual location
  • While driving, google map arrow is moving in a completely different direction - therefore as I drive, the discrepancy becomes larger
  • Turn by turn navigation map is stuck at my origin point
  • Reset dash and center console has no effect
  • Resolves spontaneously within 24h

I've pointed out the problem to the SC twice when the car was in for service. Also sent them photos of the map with simultaneous screenshots from my iPhone showing the discrepancy. Each time they come back with "tested, working correctly." However the problem is real yet intermittent. They updated my software thinking this will solve the issue; did not work the first time, let's see if it recurs after the latest software update.

I've had this problem a handful of times since I purchased my car. It persists as I drive, which makes me think it's not a GPS lock issue. Here's what I notice:

• Google map car location is a few miles away from actual location
  • While driving, google map arrow is moving in a completely different direction - therefore as I drive, the discrepancy becomes larger
  • Turn by turn navigation map is stuck at my origin point
  • Reset dash and center console has no effect
  • Resolves spontaneously within 24h

I've pointed out the problem to the SC twice when the car was in for service. Also sent them photos of the map with simultaneous screenshots from my iPhone showing the discrepancy. Each time they come back with "tested, working correctly." However the problem is real yet intermittent. They updated my software thinking this will solve the issue; did not work the first time, let's see if it recurs after the latest software update.

Wow. Thanks for the info. I'm waiting on them to check some logs on their end. Would LOVE for this to resolve itself.

Likewise, I too had the location off by about 1/4 mile after software update. It corrected itself within a day. I filed a case and was told that occasionally that can happen if the car loses GPS lock for a period of time and that it should correct after a period of driving. Mine corrected within a day.

Long straits versus going around corners

Likewise, I too had the location off by about 1/4 mile after software update. It corrected itself within a day. I filed a case and was told that occasionally that can happen if the car loses GPS lock for a period of time and that it should correct after a period of driving. Mine corrected within a day.

Navigation systems get data feeds from GPS signals, wheels and steering angles. They can therefore also be disoriented by e.g. circular driving in the absence of GPS signal, in a covered or underground parking garage, roads through the forest, or by driving for long stretches on straight, parallel roads, newly installed roundabouts, and similar positional distractions. If the system is off/not at the right location, it usually requires a combination of GPS signals and 90° turns at intersections for 2 to 3 times for the correct bearings to readjust.

If I do need the GPS to find home, however, most of the time the car is the least of the issues...:biggrin:

The other day my nav was showing my current position as about 2 miles to the right on the screen from where I actually was. By the end of the day it fixed itself. I wonder whether there was a satellite fix or alignment issue.

GPS is intentionally degraded at times at the request of the government when high profile individuals are in the vicinity, and sometimes just for testing.