Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

North Bend, WA Outlet Mall - CHAdeMO and J1772 Public Charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

breser

AutoPilot Nostradamus
Aug 28, 2014
North Bend, WA
Just wanted to let everyone know that the North Bend Outlet Mall now has an NRG eVgo public charging station. There are 2 J1772 connections and 2 CHAdeMO connections. They are located on the North side of the parking lot near the Gap. I haven't tried them because I don't have an eVgo card and I don't have a CHAdeMo adapter but I figured this would be useful for people to be aware of.

The CHAdeMo spots, look to be setup for 2 cables per cabinet but only currently have one cable.
IMG_20150526_191001.jpg

One of the J1772 connectors:
IMG_20150526_191015.jpg

The other J1772 is unfortunately (or fortunately) has the two nearest parking sots as handicapped:
IMG_20150526_191028.jpg

I've added the location to plugshare:
North Bend Outlet Mall | North Bend, WA | Electric Car Charging Station | PlugShare

It does not yet show up on NRG's site. I've watched this location being installed off and on over the past month but the barriers and notices saying the stations are closed are gone now. So I believe they are open for use.

The CHAdeMO chargers are huge; I wonder why. ABB's and Efacec 50kw CHAdeMO & CCS chargers are half that size; the Nissan CHAdeMO charger is even smaller. I wonder what all the additional space gets them. Better cooling?

I noticed that. I'd assume better cooling and support for 2 connections in a single cabinet. This location is clearly setup for more charging spots than they've put in now. There's 4 EV charging only spots near the CHAdeMO chargers.

Hmm, why no CCS cords/handles? There are zero CCS stations in Washington and it appears that NRG isn't interested in CCS here from the last couple installs they have done. Also as a man, I don't have any need for this mall once the Black and Decker store left. :cool:

Hmm, why no CCS cords/handles? There are zero CCS stations in Washington and it appears that NRG isn't interested in CCS here from the last couple installs they have done. Also as a man, I don't have any need for this mall once the Black and Decker store left. :cool:

I think what drives most of these installs are Leaf's and (correct me if I'm wrong) I don't think the Leaf supports CCS.

We go there somewhat sparingly. The shoes I bought when I first noticed the station were coming apart so took them back to exchange them.

I tried one of the CHAdeMOs and one of the L2s this past Sunday and could get neither to work with my eVgo card.

The L2 (the one further to the right) didn't seem to register the card at all, while the L3 next to it did recognize the card but wouldn't synch with my MS (I have had no issues with the new eVgo CHAdeMOs in Bellevue at the Nissan dealership - different charger model though)

I will try again next weekend with more time and will update plugshare, hopefully with kw info for the L3s.

The location is pretty good. Right on I90, it's a good opportunity for a quick charge before heading up the pass, particularly in winter. Plus, having this as a fallback option makes the shortest route between the Ellensburg and Centralia SuCs via SR18 much less stressful.

In addition to the Mall, it's about 5-10 minutes walk to downtown North Bend with a few decent restaurants & cafes, the historic railway depot, and the new Shuttle to the Mt. Si trailhead.

Finally got my eVgo card so I stopped by tonight. I don't have the CHAdeMO adapter so I couldn't try the L3 chargers. But I gave one of the L2 a try. The charger gives no indication that it registered the card but it allowed me to charge. 3kW (245V x 12A).