Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First long drive to CT, two Supercharger stops

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First two Supercharger stops ended up being in CT. I95 Darien North bound and then South Merritt Parkway (Rt 15) in Greenwich.

All but one spot ICEd in both locations (lucky me) but in Greenwich at least those are posted as 15 minute parking if not charging, 45 min max when charging. Knowing the area well I am just impressed and happy Tesla was able to cram in charging on the Merritt and can't complain about the spots being open to ICE for up to 15 minutes, it was well posted.

Darien I95 I won't be as generous though the revised service area is still poorly designed, all one-way and if a car goes to the pumps first, they can't drive back around to the main parking and only have a couple of spots with the SC stalls. There was one large work truck parked in the spot next to the open charger with the driver and his family trying to change a tire, safest spot for him with some young kids...stuff happens, he was out as soon as he had his truck sorted. After a slot opened, a BMW driver started to pull in, looked up at the signs, looked over to me, and backed out waiting for a regular spot. Props to him.

I was impressed at the charge rate in both locations. Darien ramped up to about 394 miles/hr on a 50% battery, dropping to 322 after 15 minutes. I only spent the 15 minutes there.

Merritt was similar, about 390 miles/hr dropping to about 322 by 10 minutes later.

All said and done, 320 miles at an average 290 watt/mile. Ride back was in high 80s-90 with A/C, head wind, range mode off, some construction traffic, 65-70mph. On the way up, with a stop in NJ, I hit Darien with about 150 miles driven and 150 miles estimated range on a nice day in the high 70s with no head wind. Arrived home with 20% charge. Total charging time maybe 25-30 minutes for the trip.

Overall, very impressed with the range and love the ability to make a quick Supercharger stop to add just enough electrons.

New Canaan South rest area is now open. No charging, but should relieve some of the pressure on the Greenwich South lot and reduce icing. Greenwich North is not as bad.

Darien North has two chargers, but I always see people using the ones by the gas pumps. The other two stalls are located in the main parking lot (South-East corner of lot - close to the building and drive-thru). Those spots are usually blocked by cones and rarely ICEd. Easier to check that charger first, then go to the other if necessary since it is difficult to get back to that spot from the other charger. You can do it by driving the wrong way through the truck area.