Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Different versions?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi!
I've been lurking around here for some time.

I'm getting more and more enthusiastic about Tesla and their cars the more I read about the company. I'm one of those waiting for the model 3. I can't afford the Model S (or X). I just hope my current car will live until 2017-18 (it's getting old). Being a family man I really like station wagons (they're quite popular here in Sweden) but could also go for a SUV I guess. Has Elon or anyone else at Tesla hinted as to what kind of versions the 3 will have at the start in 2017? Will it be only a sedan like with the S? I've tried to search for it but haven't found anything substantial really, I guess it might just be to early, but thought I'd ask.

Thanks!

Yahoo featured an article today by ValueWalk (?) showing pictures and ad mock ups of the model 3. Also stated that Tesla "let slip today" that the car would be ready in March 2016. What that actually means (deliveries? Production? Beta model?) I'm not sure but that timetable seems to be a year ahead of most expectations.

Just read the previous Model 3 thread, and there is some skepticism as to the veracity of the article I mentioned above. I agree that it seems to be unlikely to be true. It would be nice for Tesla to come out with a statement regarding the counterfeit "leaks", or better yet, some actual renderings of the vehicle.

Yahoo featured an article today by ValueWalk (?) showing pictures and ad mock ups of the model 3. Also stated that Tesla "let slip today" that the car would be ready in March 2016. What that actually means (deliveries? Production? Beta model?) I'm not sure but that timetable seems to be a year ahead of most expectations.

This is that they plan to give us the first look at the Model 3 in March 2016. It may be a prototype, or some very early Alpha version.

- - - Updated - - -

Being a family man I really like station wagons (they're quite popular here in Sweden) but could also go for a SUV I guess. Has Elon or anyone else at Tesla hinted as to what kind of versions the 3 will have at the start in 2017? Will it be only a sedan like with the S? I've tried to search for it but haven't found anything substantial really, I guess it might just be to early, but thought I'd ask.

Thanks!

The best guess on the Model 3 is that it will be a 5 door hatchback just like the Model S. As with the Model S, it will be more like something between a real sedan and a station wagon. The Gen-III platform, from witch the Model 3 will be built, will also have some others models, among them a CUV/SUV - and probably a new Roadster. When will they deliver the CUV/SUV version? No one knows, but probably in the 2019-2020 time-frame. But they may surprise us :)

You probably should qualify this statement...I believe the article said that a mock up / alpha would be ready, but in March 2016, but the actual delivery dates was "sometime" in 2017...

We don't want to start a frenzy...yet... :wink:

If you are referring to this article Tesla Model 3 Concept Images Emerge in my opinion those Model 3 images are simply someone's imagination and have nothing to do with Tesla. Most of that article is just speculation (as is most of what is written about regarding Tesla on Yahoo).

If my memory is correct (???), I believe in the last Earnings Report Q&A (May 6th) Elon mentioned March 2016 for a first look, and several articles after that translated the statement into all sorts of promises. I think Elon also added almost as an afterthought, something like "but don't hold me to that". Or, the afterthought may have been my own mental auto-filter on Elon-specified dates. :)

I don't see how a roadster can be built on GenIII platform. To much wheelbase.
I'd love to see and buy a coupe version though. AWD,RWD,FWD... just build it :)

Let's hold back on that "too much wheelbase" until we actually see like a first drawing.... Anyway, other manufacturers also do different models with shortened/lengthened versions of their platform. I don't think we will see the new Roadster before 2022 unless they can reuse some of the 3 & Y. Pretty sure the Y will follow the 3 and, if they don't go falcon-crazy again, maybe that won't take as long as the X has.

If my memory is correct (???), ...

Your memory seems to be in a good condition :)

- - - Updated - - -

... if they don't go falcon-crazy again, maybe that won't take as long as the X has.

They should have some experiences with the Falcon-wings from the Model X, so I don't think that will delay the "Model Y" (or whatever it will be called), if they reuse that. But if they want to redefine "car" once more... :p

Your memory seems to be in a good condition :)

- - - Updated - - -

They should have some experiences with the Falcon-wings from the Model X, so I don't think that will delay the "Model Y" (or whatever it will be called), if they reuse that. But if they want to redefine "car" once more... :p

Well, i would think the Falcon wing doors could be too expensive/complicated to manufacture for a high volume "low cost" Model Y.

Elon has said he would like to expand to become a full line automobile manufacturer as soon as possible. He would like to introduce a new vehicle every year. He has learned the difficulty with manufacturing comes from designing the machines that build the machines and the buildings that house them.