Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger Notification if down

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

napabill

Supporting Member
I recently drove to the Sound of Silence Rally in Custer. Twice on that trip, once at Cheyenne and once at Silverthorn the Superchargers were in operative. In Cheyenne two of the 4 stations were dead, and at Silverthorn the entire mall area had a power outage that lasted several hours. I would ask Tesla to figure out a way to notify travelers when this circumstance arises. The new Trip Planner software assumes you charge the minimum amount to get to the next destination. If the Superchargers aren't available you're stranded. A simple email blast to those who sign-up for it, would do the trick. Better yet, incorporate it as a notification in the Remote App.

Not a bad idea.

As the routing software improves, I expect it to automatically route past sites that aren't working - and sites that have a long wait or anticipated wait. I think that plus a real time status on the map screen would be the best solution in the long run...
Walter

I too think an update to the app with such alerts is all but essential if Superchargers are indeed down and inoperable, although I might not include a blast if there is one or two stalls that aren't working but rather tell us if the entire station is not working or is experiencing high volume and may result in delays.

I agree that we travelers need to be informed of Supercharger outages, but am not sure what method is best. Do we receive a text message on our phones? This could be problematic for those of us who are driving solo and ignore our cell phones. Will there be a message on the navigation screen, and what will it be tied to? For me, once I have visited a Supercharger I do not use the navigation feature unless I think I might have some range issues, as I know where I am going, and the navigation screen is a distraction. I would be disappointed if I had to keep navigation active every time I took a road trip, as I generally dislike it.

Would it be sensible or practical for Tesla to design a communication platform (like with the automatic updates) where we can activate it and select the Superchargers that we intend to use today or tomorrow and have this platform communicate directly with Tesla periodically to see if any of our selections are disabled or inoperable? Then we could be notified directly on the touchscreen that location X is down, or only 4/8 stalls are working, and we could make appropriate adjustments.

Didn't Elon boast about the ability of the Nav to communicate in real time with SpC to poll their status? Seems like a notification should pop up on the display alerting the driver to a downed/unavailable SpC. Surprised they have already incorporated this.