Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Flac / mp3 from USB behave different?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

My Model S will arrive in August and while waiting, I want to rip my CDs. So to test a few things, e.g. if flac files work, I copied a CD from one artist as mp3s and a CD from another artist as flac files to a USB stick and went to Tesla to test it.
Both file formats could be played, but I noticed two strange things: First, when I selected artists, it showed both aritsts, as expected. But then, when I selected the artist who's CD I converted to flac, it whould show me the album name next, then the songs. When I selected the artist who's songs I converted to mp3, it didn't show me the album name first, it gave me directly the songs. The tags in all files, artists, album and name of the songs seem to be correct, the only difference I could find is that one CD was mp3, the other was flac. Is this normal, or did I do something wrong with the mp3s (I'd prefer the behavior of the flac files).
The second thing I noticed is, that the cover art it showed was not the picture embedded in the playing file, nor was it the picture in the same folder as the playing file. It was a picture which was no where on the USB stick, so it downloaded it itself from the net. Is there a way to display the cover art on the USB stick?

File format doesn't matter. You should see Artist-->Album-->Songs. If you didn't, either the metadata has an issue or perhaps you just interpreted what you saw incorrectly?

Your second question has been a huge pet peeve of many since the car came out--I've been bitching about it since 2012. Apparently Tesla thinks the internet database is better at finding the right album art than we are. Tesla, it's time to use the album art stored in the song...

What's interesting is that I haven't seen any album art displayed for any music I've played off my USB stick. I'm wondering what about the file it uses to find album art on the Internet, which is apparently lacking in my collection.
Do you use folder view or one of the categories (Artist, etc.)? Folder view won't even attempt to retrieve artwork or tags, but the other views will. Or at least it used to be that way (I stopped using Folder View).

Here's a question that perhaps someone knows the answer to.

In Album view and Artist view most of my album art is displaying. I just tried a little experiment, to see if I could force the system to obtain the art for a few albums for which art was not displaying. I selected the album, and began playing a track, and in two of the three cases the system found album art within about ten seconds. (The third case I waited about thirty seconds before giving up, but given enough time, perhaps the system would have found album art for that one too.) But here's the issue and question: even though the album art was displayed as the track played, (and immediately, with no hesitation if a track was played again), the album art was never shown in the Album view or the Artist view. I even tried removing my USB stick and reinserting it, but that did not help. As far as I recall, I have not seen this particular behavior before.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

File format doesn't matter. You should see Artist-->Album-->Songs. If you didn't, either the metadata has an issue or perhaps you just interpreted what you saw incorrectly?

That's what I expected, the format shouldn't really matter. I'm sure the metadata is in the mp3 files, but maybe something in there is not exactly like the Model S expects it. I know there are different versions of these metadata, or ID3-tags: ID3 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. Maybe it didn't like the version of the ID3-tags in my files?
Unfortunately I can not investigate further until I get my own Model S, but if someone has the time to do it, I'd be interested in the results.

Here's a question that perhaps someone knows the answer to.

In Album view and Artist view most of my album art is displaying. I just tried a little experiment, to see if I could force the system to obtain the art for a few albums for which art was not displaying. I selected the album, and began playing a track, and in two of the three cases the system found album art within about ten seconds. (The third case I waited about thirty seconds before giving up, but given enough time, perhaps the system would have found album art for that one too.) But here's the issue and question: even though the album art was displayed as the track played, (and immediately, with no hesitation if a track was played again), the album art was never shown in the Album view or the Artist view. I even tried removing my USB stick and reinserting it, but that did not help. As far as I recall, I have not seen this particular behavior before.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Album art has been flaky since 6.1 (I think?). They broke something and it doesn't work consistently anymore. Might search through the release threads to find the other complaints about it, but this sounds like something covered there.

Do you use folder view or one of the categories (Artist, etc.)? Folder view won't even attempt to retrieve artwork or tags, but the other views will. Or at least it used to be that way (I stopped using Folder View).

Interesting... I always use folder view, since the organization of my music is far more sane that way. I've also tried listening to XM, and don't see cover art there either.

That's what I expected, the format shouldn't really matter. I'm sure the metadata is in the mp3 files, but maybe something in there is not exactly like the Model S expects it. I know there are different versions of these metadata, or ID3-tags: ID3 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. Maybe it didn't like the version of the ID3-tags in my files?
Unfortunately I can not investigate further until I get my own Model S, but if someone has the time to do it, I'd be interested in the results.

One thing I've noticed is that the player can't deal with any special or accented characters in an ID3 tag. The track will show up as "Unknown" or have a blank album/artist/song name. Anything outside the 7-bit ASCII character set seems to be unsupported. After I edited those tags to remove the special characters, all tracks showed up fine in the player. (And just now I was going to type an example umlaut with the two dots over the u, but it looks like this forum also has issues with accented characters....:p)

Hmm.. ok, I was doing it wrong... it does work here in the forum:
BjørnBjørnBjørnBjørn
Deathtöngue Café