Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CPO bonus or just a typo?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently got my CPO 2013 S85. The CPO site said it had a piano black interior. I have been looking at it the past couple of weeks not knowing what piano black was, but thinking it looked a lot like carbon fibre. Well having done a little bit of research I have come to find it indeed is CF. Did I get a bonus, or can I write this up as a website typo? Just curious as I would love the car regardless.

Peace,
Father Bill

I recently got my CPO 2013 S85. The CPO site said it had a piano black interior. I have been looking at it the past couple of weeks not knowing what piano black was, but thinking it looked a lot like carbon fibre. Well having done a little bit of research I have come to find it indeed is CF. Did I get a bonus, or can I write this up as a website typo? Just curious as I would love the car regardless.

Peace,
Father Bill

It would be hard to tell without pictures whether the car indeed has carbon fiber vs. piano black. I wouldn't be surprised though if a car arrived with CF instead of Piano Black.

I think the have really screwed up the CPO program at this level. Here is my guess. I think they are using the VIN and going off the ORIGINAL ORDERED configuration, and if that changed at some point in the process, the changes are missed. How it is that they don't have a process to verify vehicle configuration with "boots on the ground" before posting vehicles and pricing is really insane. I am guessing that Tesla is losing an average of $2-4k per vehicle due to having to modify vehicles that are missing stuff by adding new items to the car or mis-pricing due to the car having stuff that they missed.

I agree, getting a P85 by surprise takes the cake. Besides the fact that my SIG was upgraded to a P85+, the listing indicated a CF spoiler which the car didn't have. The listed mileage was also incorrect. Of course, Tesla installed a new spoiler. They also offered me the choice to select another CPO or simply cancel altogether. It appears more than a few CPOs may not have been accurately inventoried. The good news is Tesla will make things right.

But what if you ordered a S85, were assigned a VIN and then changed the order to a P85, but the VIN wasn't updated. Could that have happened along the way?

What if you added the second charger at the service center after you had the car, the VIN wouldn't change for that.

But what if you ordered a S85, were assigned a VIN and then changed the order to a P85, but the VIN wasn't updated. Could that have happened along the way?

What if you added the second charger at the service center after you had the car, the VIN wouldn't change for that.

Recently for the former, Tesla has been adjusting the VIN. You get the same tail end s/n, but the option digits have been tweaked. That said, who knows about the past. For the latter, that was the case with my car I believe. Everyone was surprised my car had dual chargers.

Of course if they actually put pictures of the cars on the CPO site, like EVERY other company selling used cars, this wouldn't be an issue.

I find it hilarious that they post design studio type pictures for a used car, If I wanted stock images I'd go to the design studio, I want to see what I'm going to get.

Who buys a used car online without even a picture? Especially in this price bracket?
(and this is coming from someone who bought his last 2 cars online, paying money before he ever saw either of them in person)

Who buys a used car online without even a picture? Especially in this price bracket?
(and this is coming from someone who bought his last 2 cars online, paying money before he ever saw either of them in person)

For the price I paid and knowing Tesla would make the car great even if it wasn't in such shape when I actually saw it, I did and would do it again in a heartbeat. Tesla, while lacking in certain customer communication and information sharing expectations, has been a great company to work with and has done a great job to make sure the final product is fantastic.

For the price I paid and knowing Tesla would make the car great even if it wasn't in such shape when I actually saw it, I did and would do it again in a heartbeat. Tesla, while lacking in certain customer communication and information sharing expectations, has been a great company to work with and has done a great job to make sure the final product is fantastic.

Agreed. While my car was delivered with some issues and due-bill items, Tesla service scheduled an appointment, provided me with a loaner (a unicorn, P85 with autopilot), and corrected 100% of the issues within the week of delivery. They even brought me back my car and picked up the loaner from my house. As of this writing, my CPO car is 100% correct.

I think the have really screwed up the CPO program at this level. Here is my guess. I think they are using the VIN and going off the ORIGINAL ORDERED configuration, and if that changed at some point in the process, the changes are missed. How it is that they don't have a process to verify vehicle configuration with "boots on the ground" before posting vehicles and pricing is really insane. I am guessing that Tesla is losing an average of $2-4k per vehicle due to having to modify vehicles that are missing stuff by adding new items to the car or mis-pricing due to the car having stuff that they missed.

+1.