Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Quandary: St. Louis to Huntsville, AL

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, I am planning a trip to Huntsville from the St. Louis, MO area the end of the first week of June. I have mapped it out via EV Tripplanner and it gives me a supercharger route Home, Effingham SC, Indianapolis SC, Lexington SC, London SC,(Knoville SC when operational), Chattanooga SC. It totals a little over 800 miles taking this route (13 hours). If I take the direct route vi I57-I24 through Nashville I will have to rely on a level 2 charger in Marion, IL a plugsharer HPWC in Ky and then Chademo throughout TN. I suspect the time will be similar because of the charge time differential. I like the fewer miles because I just got my MS via CPO and I don't want to blow through my non-extendable warranty in less than 4 years.
Given the anecdotal unreliability of Chademo and the MS what route would you take? Gamble with shorter route or cruise easy with SC all the way? I am not much of a gambler but this is exactly why I bought the Chademo adapter... What to do... Any advice would be appreciated.

thanks,

Father Bill

Super Chargers all the way. I am an early adopter and find the SC routes much better than the unreliability and hassle factor otherwise. If you are extremely gregarious perhaps exploring the wilds would be more fun.

Good luck. Enjoy. Don't sweat the miles.

I've done Minneapolis to Nashville via Normal IL, to Indianapolis IN, to Louisville KY (80amp HPWC plugsharer) to Nashville TN. I have dual chargers so not too bad for a couple hour stop in Louisville. Between St. Louis and Nashville is kind of a dead spot with only some 15-40's at campgrounds. I haven't had a bad experience, but I don't like to rely on car dealers for charging.

I cannot wait until they get a supercharger in Louisville KY. That will make this zone much easier to cross from many different directions.

If you have the time, I'd do the supercharger route. I suspect you'll be putting miles fast enough it won't matter... :)

My own personal note, I've had great luck with the CHAdeMO adapter on chargers in my area.

Good luck, have fun!

-m

Heading to Orlando with the family next month and I'll be going through Indy, unfortunately. But it is what it is until Tesla gets it together with regard to popular routes vs. just the "x0" and "x5" Interstates.