Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do range assurance and trip planner not work without supercharging enabled?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

zdre

40kWh Model S, Model 3LR
Jan 18, 2010
St. Louis
I have not seen any evidence of the this functionality in my non-supercharging car. I tried navigating to a far location with a charger that I have used before mid way and it just said that charging is required. Has anyone seen it work? I also ran it down pretty low and it did not ask me to navigate to nearest charging station. Elon mentioned that this update affected the entire fleet, but I just do not see it.

On cars with supercharging, the range assurance ONLY uses Superchargers, despite the display showing non-supercharger points you have used before.

This make it pretty useless anywhere outside the few areas with dense Supercharger coverage - it will send me on a 100-mile detour to visit the only supercharger in the area when in fact I've got just about enough to get home and my natural route passes several fast charge points where I could stop for 20 minutes if I needed to.

IMO, the emphasis in the marketing was all wrong - the Range Assurance announced with huge fanfare, blog posts, articles placed in the press etc. is actually almost useless - in dense supercharger areas you don't need it, and in sparse areas it makes silly suggestions so often that you will fail to notice if it's ever being helpful. On the other hand, the route-based charge graph (introduced in 6.1 with not much publicity) to me is a HUGE improvement in managing range and avoiding range anxiety.

As currently implemented, it works best if you just put in the next charging stop manually and don't stop charging until it shows 20% to 30% remaining after reaching the next destination. No doubt this is just temporary until some future release.

I ran the car down to 5 miles yesterday and the range assurance kicked in, suggesting the nearest chargers and superchargers. Trip planner is definitely missing though. I am not able to enter multiple destinations or route through chargers.

As currently implemented, it works best if you just put in the next charging stop manually and don't stop charging until it shows 20% to 30% remaining after reaching the next destination. No doubt this is just temporary until some future release.

Oh wow that's ridiculously conservative. I usually move on at 7%-10% The energy estimate is almost perfect, and of anything a bit conservative. I have never reached my destination in long drives with less than the estimate, and that's driving 5 over the speed limit.

I took my S in for its annual service and asked this question. I was told that list of super chargers along the way wasn't active unless you had supercharging. I drove a P85+ for two days and I guess this makes some sense. When I plugged in that I wanted to go to New York City, it gave me the list of chargers and how long I should stay at each one before continuing. Imaging how long that would be without supercharging!!