Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK grants / subsidies announced. Leaf and Volt qualify, Tesla does not :confused:

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Alan

Sep 18, 2010
UK
The UK government have announced the first 9 cars that will receive a £5K (about $8K) grant towards purchase. The list is odd as it contains hybrids and some EVs but not the Tesla Roadster. Details also of new public charging points announced.

Mitsubishi i-MiEV: Jan 2011
Smart fortwo electric drive: Jan 2011
Peugeot iOn: Jan 2011
Nissan Leaf: March 2011
Tata Vista: March 2011
Citroen CZero: Early 2011
Vauxhall Ampera: Early 2012
Toyota Prius Plug-in Hybrid: Early 2012
Chevrolet Volt: Early 2012

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-11985866

This morning the BBC interviewed a motoring journalist - Kevin Haggarthy - about this on Breakfast News in the 7.50 business slot. I caught the tail end of it.

The interviewer - Simon Jack - brought up the topic of grid emissions but correctly said that they would still be lower than the equivalent petrol car. However Mr Haggarty then replied unchecked with "I read one US report that said that if everyone switched to electric cars we would need 35x the generating capacity".

Does anyone know of such a report?

Apparently Jeremy Clarkson has also been causing his usual trouble.

I don't understand the "They just don't work" comment; I don't think that we're all living in a bubble here.

Motor manufactures were pressured into producing electrics at the turn of the century in California but, I don't see enough bullying going on globally to conclude that ALL of these manufacturers listed above plus the start-ups and conversion companies are making EVs because they have to. They're making EVs because they see a market for them; profit. For that to be true, they have to work. Many said that the first mobile phones didn't work, I predict the same trajectory for EVs.

I think someone's going to have to hand Jeremy Clarkson a spade, he's not going to be able to dig much of a deeper hole for himself without one.

He's a Shell shill.

I was watching a repeat of a recent Top Gear on the weekend where they drove three classic British sportscars between their various factory sites. Cue the blatant Shell advert when they stopped to fill up.

However Mr Haggarty then replied unchecked with "I read one US report that said that if everyone switched to electric cars we would need 35x the generating capacity".

Does anyone know of such a report?

Possibly referring to this:

http://www.greentechhistory.com/200...sepower-in-our-cars-than-in-our-power-plants/

Sort of an out of context statistic to compare that way. Among other things it doesn't take into account things like:

#1: Power plants tend to make power 24x7 unlike cars with smaller duty cycles.
#2: Power plants can run at peak output 24x7 unlike cars which rarely call upon full power.
...etc...

I think Jeremy has tailpipe issues...:biggrin::wink:

I don't understand the "They just don't work" comment; I don't think that we're all living in a bubble here.

Motor manufactures were pressured into producing electrics at the turn of the century in California but, I don't see enough bullying going on globally to conclude that ALL of these manufacturers listed above plus the start-ups and conversion companies are making EVs because they have to. They're making EVs because they see a market for them; profit. For that to be true, they have to work. Many said that the first mobile phones didn't work, I predict the same trajectory for EVs.

I think someone's going to have to hand Jeremy Clarkson a spade, he's not going to be able to dig much of a deeper hole for himself without one.