Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Window Tint, what kind?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Max*

Charging
Apr 8, 2015
NoVa
I'm so confused... I'm looking to get the windows tinted, specifically to avoid heat issues for the child seats. The company I used on my current car send me 5 choices...

* Solar Gard HP Smoke Metalized film (5 year warranty)

* Solar Gard Galaxie Non-Reflective, color-stable film (National, Lifetime warranty)

* Solar Gard Ceramic UP Performance, High heat rejection with high VLT film (GPS Signal Enabling, Lifetime, National warranty)

* 3M Color Stable Film, Non-Reflective, color-stable film (National, Lifetime warranty)

* 3M Crystalline Film, High heat rejection with high VLT film (GPS Signal Enabling, Lifetime, National warranty)

1. Do I need GPS signal enabling film?
2. Does anyone know how the 3M Crystaline Film is better than the Solar Gard Ceramic UP Performance film?

If those are your only choices- please disregard my post.

I had mine done with Llumar- I can't remember which, but the best one (Platinum, maybe?). 50% front, 35% rear and hatch. Very pleased with results. No GPS interference. Kids no longer complain about heat in the jump seats. Also have the rear hatch window shade up there which also helps.

Last edited:

Those are the only choices form my previous installer (whom I know did a good job). I'm going to contact a few more places I think...

I had mine done with Llumar- I can't remember which, but the best one (Platinum, maybe?). 50% front, 35% rear and hatch. Very pleased with results. No GPS interference. Kids no longer complain about heat in the jump seats. Also have the rear hatch window shade up there which also helps.

Thanks.

I think mine was Llumar as well. It was ceramic so as to not block cell/gps. But a very high UV reflection at the same time, hence the expense. I also have the rear sun shade as well to compliment the tint. Its the only way to may the back seats bearable.

I went with Lumar ceramic 15% all the way around. It's the best for Lumar. Now I've heard great things about 3M Crystaline tint. Considering using the Crystaline for my front windshield as it's legal and blocks UV.

I went with Lumar ceramic 15% all the way around. It's the best for Lumar. Now I've heard great things about 3M Crystaline tint. Considering using the Crystaline for my front windshield as it's legal and blocks UV.
I used Crystalline on my Aston Martin windshield - great idea! I'm noticing heat still coming through the windshield on our S as well. I'm pretty sure in the next few weeks I'm going to have it done as well. You can't even notice the tint is there, but the heat savings is awesome. Plus it saves the wear & tear on the dash.

The only trouble is when you get a rock chip and have the windshield replaced you have to do it again. This happens a lot in AZ (The Aston had a couple chips).

My tinting gets done in the morning. I wasn't able to nail down which film manufacturer they use, but it is a ceramic tint. Good to see others saying they trust Lumar's ceramic line as I'm 90% sure it is a Lumar film as a friend got the Air80 applied to his Model S, windshield included. Made a huge difference in heat characteristics. In fact, I spent some time earlier tonight debating which level I want and narrowed it down to these three:

- 35%
- 40%
- 45%

Last edited:
The percentage of tint is just personal preference. I doubt you will see much of a difference with the options you are asking about. Here's mine at 15%. If I were you I'd go 35%.

image.jpg

Thanks everyone. I guess Llumar is a popular choice, I'll see where the local installers are...

Yeah, percentage wise is a personal choice (and legal?). I think I'm going 35% once I get the Tesla...

Thanks everyone. I guess Llumar is a popular choice, I'll see where the local installers are...

When I dropped off my car this morning, the shop had 3M Crystallize samples up too and I asked him about it. He said it is slightly more effective than the Llumar, but few clients end up going with it. A - it's nearly twice the cost as the Llumar film job he's doing on my car, and B - it's got a brown tint color. The latter has put many of his clients off unless they have a similar earth-tone color car. I would imagine Titanium would look great with that color, but my Dolphin Gray won't.

When I dropped off my car this morning, the shop had 3M Crystallize samples up too and I asked him about it. He said it is slightly more effective than the Llumar, but few clients end up going with it. A - it's nearly twice the cost as the Llumar film job he's doing on my car, and B - it's got a brown tint color. The latter has put many of his clients off unless they have a similar earth-tone color car. I would imagine Titanium would look great with that color, but my Dolphin Gray won't.
Thanks, that's good to know. And yeah, this place also had the 3M Crystalline Film at nearly twice the cost of the Ceramic tints.

I emailed a few more local shops, lets see what they use.