Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is there a concern with a dash cam blocking autopilot harware?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm about to install a dash cam (or rather, have it installed this time). I would typically install the dash cam in front of the rear view mirror so that it's hidden from the driver's view but I'm wondering if there is any concern about precisely placing the dash cam to avoid blocking the autopilot's forward-facing camera?

I'm about to install a dash cam (or rather, have it installed this time). I would typically install the dash cam in front of the rear view mirror so that it's hidden from the driver's view but I'm wondering if there is any concern about precisely placing the dash cam to avoid blocking the autopilot's forward-facing camera?

Its covered with a plastic housing that you couldnt block if you tried from the inside of the windsheild.

- - - Updated - - -

I found the best position to be beside the mirror / camera pod. Mods

Nice mods btw.

Its covered with a plastic housing that you couldnt block if you tried from the inside of the windsheild.

There is a light sensor on the back of the rear view mirror that you probably don't want to block. It'd probably still work since it's there to pickup ambient light levels for determining when to dim the mirrors, turn on lights and adjust the brightness of the displays. But it probably wouldn't work as well if it was blocked. But it's small and you can still hide a dash cam behind the mirror without blocking it.

Did you get a newer P85, Rocky? The last time I saw you, your P85 was older than 9/14 so you wouldn't have to worry about the autopilot camera. If you look at the newer ones, there's a triangle above the rearview mirror that contains the camera. It's hard to put anything in front of it, from inside the car. If you're going to be at C&C next weekend, you can see my dual dashcam install.

I ran the wire for my rear camera through the existing wire flexible conduit. Then, I ground out a small section of the license plate lamp holder just enough to allow the wire to squeeze out. Luckily, the connector was an 1/8" DIN and was easy to snake through with the help of cable lube and a wire guide tube.

The tiny front camera is mounted just below the rain sensor.