Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Touch screen noises?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't remember my touch screen making any noise when I first got the car so I can only assume that a fan is getting a little noisy.

but damn if it doesn't sound like a hard drive in there (which I would love to grab an image of using dd)

Is everyone else's touch screen / center console silent? Anyone know if it is an SSD or a traditional HDD? If SDD I doubt I could get on the SATA interface as it is likely built onto the board but an HDD that's a different story.

I don't remember my touch screen making any noise when I first got the car so I can only assume that a fan is getting a little noisy.

but damn if it doesn't sound like a hard drive in there (which I would love to grab an image of using dd)

Is everyone else's touch screen / center console silent? Anyone know if it is an SSD or a traditional HDD? If SDD I doubt I could get on the SATA interface as it is likely built onto the board but an HDD that's a different story.

The MCU has a cooling fan--might be failing. Contact Service. FWIW, the instrument display also has a fan. Mine started making noise about a year ago--entire instrument display replaced. No problems since.

Mine is in the shop right now for exactly the same noise. I believe my noise was coming from the instrument cluster, but they are looking into the touchscreen as well. It was tough to isolate exactly where it was coming from. It was very annoying when I was stopped.

I hear the fan on mine pretty regularly, but it's awfully quiet. I can't hear it if the Climate Control is on even its lowest settings. There's no hard drive in there, though, it's solid state storage. Hard drives and cars don't mix very well (heat, bumps, vibrations: all bad).

This being the first hot season since ownership, I've noticed a console fan whirring quietly when I get into the hot car in a parking lot, sun shining directly on the console. So ya, it's hot.

I'm in the process of making custom-fit window sun shades.. there's a lot of glass to cover up everywhere.