Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Austin to Fredericksburg/Enchanted Rock One Day Trip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nice writeup. Thanks for posting it. I have been wanting to take a road trip to Enchanted Rock but have been worried about the lack of charging infrastructure for the return trip. I'm glad to hear that you made it okay and in spite of the heavy rain. We live just north of Dallas, but have in-laws in Georgetown, so it would be doable if we stayed there overnight.

Last year the Austin/San Antonio Tesla owners group lobbied for Fredericksburg to install the high-amp level 2's (two Clipper Creek CS-60) rather than the usual overpriced and underpowered 30A ChargePoints they were planning to install, in order to better support Tesla tourism. Please patronize them.

Sure, you should be able to make it...Good luck!

Nice writeup. Thanks for posting it. I have been wanting to take a road trip to Enchanted Rock but have been worried about the lack of charging infrastructure for the return trip. I'm glad to hear that you made it okay and in spite of the heavy rain. We live just north of Dallas, but have in-laws in Georgetown, so it would be doable if we stayed there overnight.

If you're really paranoid about taking good care of the battery try this - charge it to 90% the night before you leave, then turn on "scheduled charging" and set it to like 5am or even 6am. Turn the charging limit up to 100%.

The car will top itself off early in te morning, up to 100%, and assuming you leave pretty quickly after that, you won't be leaving it at 100% charge very long, which is the main thing to avoid.

I personally would not charge it to 100% the night before, then leave it for 6-8hrs before driving it. In the first place, it's bad for the long-term battery life. Secondly, during those 6-8hrs while you're asleep, the car loses a few miles of charge! Better to charge it to 100% right before you drive it.

Actually i did schedule it ti start charging at 3am so that it would top off to 100% by 6am but i forgot to plug it in :) Anyways, thanks for the tip!

If you're really paranoid about taking good care of the battery try this - charge it to 90% the night before you leave, then turn on "scheduled charging" and set it to like 5am or even 6am. Turn the charging limit up to 100%.

The car will top itself off early in te morning, up to 100%, and assuming you leave pretty quickly after that, you won't be leaving it at 100% charge very long, which is the main thing to avoid.

I personally would not charge it to 100% the night before, then leave it for 6-8hrs before driving it. In the first place, it's bad for the long-term battery life. Secondly, during those 6-8hrs while you're asleep, the car loses a few miles of charge! Better to charge it to 100% right before you drive it.

After I came back from my trip, today (2015-05-29), a new charging location, Torre di Pietra Winery (with 2 80A Tesla connectors and 1 Clipper Creek J-1772 chargers) on Hwy 290 near Fredericksburg (between Fredericksburg and Johnson City) popped up on PlugShare - EV Charging Station Map - Find a place to charge your car!. I am really glad that Hill Country businesses are encouraging EV owners to take trips there :)

Sure, you should be able to make it...Good luck!