Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Your DS: how much info did you get?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, VINs have been issued but being UK RHD AWD cars the usual assumptions don't seem to hold. I've had a VIN since mid March - though that was an S85 that got switched into a 85D early April so just toggled the appropriate digits. Another UK P85D got the VIN 2 weeks back, but no more info or estimates forthcoming.

I am just wondering how much advance information do they have about our pre-ordered cars.

Do they have direct access to Tesla's computers, so they get to find out our proposed built date and track our vehicles' progress?

When I ordered mine, after I went through the order process on the website, my DS at my local showroom went into their system, which is run off of Salesforce. They could go into my contact record and see up to date figures on build date, transmit time, etc. They can also ping the car's geolocation and pull up the coordinates on Google Maps to tell you exactly where the car is at any time (after it has been produced.) My DS was able to show me the exact parking spot in Fremont it was sitting in waiting for the train, and then was able to tell me what city the train was going through a few weeks later.

I know that cars going to Europe are only partially built in the US, and then assembled in the EU (to avoid some taxes) so I don't know how much is different, but they definitely have a bunch of information available immediately after you order that is not reflected on the My Tesla site to consumers.

That is one big if... my DES is pretty much AWOL and it is very frustrating. I don't even get a "I'll get back to you" email in reply, or a courtesy callback to acknowledge our voicemails.

This seems to be a universal problem. Sending an email to a DS seems to be equivalent to proving the existence of black holes. Is it because they are insanely busy or disaffected? Not sure which.

Once your car status is "in transit" just ask you DS where it is. They can ping the car and get an exact location - if you can get him/her to respond

This may not work for EU-delivered cars. Since the cars are not fully assembled (see up thread) and at least the battery is disconnected from the car during shipment (discussed in other threads), it is possible that the GPS on the car won't be available until reassembled in Europe.

In the early going when you can get out quickly the DS is quick to respond, and takes the initiative in dealing with the factory. It will be the best customer service on the planet at this time. They might even give you a P85D for the weekend.

When you go into production then it's suddenly different. It's then boilerplate info because they know you can't really back out at this point so they follow some script.

All emails will either be ignored.
All attempts to get around them to get an answer will be futile.
If the DS does get back to you he'll just give you some line that it's the only info the factory gives out, yet your car will be in production 3 times longer than average.
If he/she calls you, you better answer because he won't leave a detailed voicemail. Instead he'll tell you to call him back and when you do he'll tell you the car is almost done and he has no more info.
Tesla financing won't have any issues contacting you. But, don't pay them. Don't pay anymore than what you already have with the $2500 (or whatever it might be) deposit. You can pay them when the car is in transit or when you pickup the car.

(in my case) the DES is not very forthcoming with ANY communications ??

That is one big if... my DES is pretty much AWOL and it is very frustrating. I don't even get a "I'll get back to you" email in reply, or a courtesy callback to acknowledge our voicemails.

This seems to be a universal problem. Sending an email to a DS seems to be equivalent to proving the existence of black holes. Is it because they are insanely busy or disaffected? Not sure which.

I agree to the MIA comment,,
When I asked my DES about the lack of returning my emails, texts and phone call ( over a 11 day period), he said he had been busy at the Tesla rally's.
Must be a Tesla rally, every week since 5/1

Not a lot. You have to chase them. I just called off and on until they answered their phone. Leaving messages or sending emails was often a waste of time. Though towards the end he was better about answer my emails on the 85D.

In the early going when you can get out quickly the DS is quick to respond, and takes the initiative in dealing with the factory. It will be the best customer service on the planet at this time. They might even give you a P85D for the weekend.

When you go into production then it's suddenly different. It's then boilerplate info because they know you can't really back out at this point so they follow some script.

All emails will either be ignored.
All attempts to get around them to get an answer will be futile.
If the DS does get back to you he'll just give you some line that it's the only info the factory gives out, yet your car will be in production 3 times longer than average.
If he/she calls you, you better answer because he won't leave a detailed voicemail. Instead he'll tell you to call him back and when you do he'll tell you the car is almost done and he has no more info.
Tesla financing won't have any issues contacting you. But, don't pay them. Don't pay anymore than what you already have with the $2500 (or whatever it might be) deposit. You can pay them when the car is in transit or when you pickup the car.

That's my problem too.... sigh.

When I was interested in ordering the OA responded to my emails within an hour. Once I ordered the DS doesn't seem too interested in responding to emails (I guess now they have my money, so they don't have to be responsive). My previous email took 7 days to respond, and my current email is still not being responded too (5 days and counting).

Seriously? How hard is it to respond to an email and say you're tied up and will get back to me in X days, or at least setup an auto-away if you're not in the office or know that you're busy?

I work about 5 mins from the "dealership", I think next time I'm just going to walk over and ask my questions in person.

Last edited:
Also suffering from a MIA DS, which is a real shame as so far this has been the only chink in the whole test-drive to order phase. It does make you feel a little in the dark, however, as you're never quite sure you have 100% of the information you could have if you were kept up to date.

My experience as well. My car went into production on May 5th and is still there. Last I heard from my DS is that the car was going through QC on May 13th. Since then, dead silence. It appears a number of cars built around that day are in a black hole, with some kind of QC issue to be resolved. As others have said, plant has likely been building other models and mine is in a holding pattern. That alone is frustrating, but having zero feedback from my DS makes it that much worse. A dashboard that still says delivery in Late May doesn't help either.

My DS Kyle from W. Palm has been great. Always answers emails at all hours, and even called to follow up when I didn't answer an email after a day. Getting close to delivery, yes!!!!

I think you must have a great DS. I received the canned e-mail congrats/introduction e-mail. Asked a couple of questions and that has been it. No proactive e-mails at all. A week after my car shipped, I asked for a status, was told Clovis, NM Rail yard. I e-maled today asking for an update, crickets. Then tonight I looked on MyTesla and see the status changed to Production Complete Your Model S is being prepared for pickup or delivery. So I assume it is sitting at the Dania Beach Delivery Center, but the DS must not know. Extremely disappointed with this part of the experience so far.