Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Incorrect message "Charging needed to reach destination"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

wayner

Oct 29, 2014
Toronto
On Saturday I was 3.7km from home (which was my destination) and I had 93km of rated range. I got the "Charging needed to reach destination" message all of a sudden which makes no sense. Has anyone else seen this?

charging needed.jpg

Turn off supercharger routing (I think maybe touch the red popup?). Or maybe it's "Trip Planning". I had that once planning a drive to Campbell River in the car, it turned out the Nav wanted me to take a ferry over to Burlington WA supercharger, head up to the Squamish supercharger, and I can't remember how it thought I was going to get back on the Island to get to Campbell River.

There's a slightly subtle button or two on the routing screen that will remove the weirdness and go back to the direct route. I haven't used it enough for the most efficient planning procedures to become second nature. And when I finally learn them, of course, they'll change the screens. :eek:

But the weird thing is that I only live 12km from the Supercharger at the Lawrence Ave Service Centre and at the time of the message I was even closer to that location. I could have driven there and back multiple times even with my lowish charge level.

On Saturday I was 3.7km from home (which was my destination) and I had 93km of rated range. I got the "Charging needed to reach destination" message all of a sudden which makes no sense. Has anyone else seen this?

View attachment 82003

Let me guess... you stopped the car and got out... when you got back in, this was the result?

This is a bug in the Nav that it tries to re-run the nav route when you get back in, but it's all messed up. Just hit "cancel" and re-route your destination.

The first time this happened to me, I was 1 mile from a planned SC stop, and stopped to get a soda before hitting the SC station. Got back in, and this was the result "not enough charge...".. yeah, 1 mile to go? I don't think so. :)

HankLyodRight is correct. It doesn't work well once you've stopped and started the car. The other thing that happens is sometimes it adds an additional SC stop. Click on "Trips" and you can clear out the additional charging stops.

I had this happen on a road trip a couple of weeks ago. Specifically, it was routing me towards home, but I pulled off to go to a store. On the way back, it never completed calculating the route and popped up this error (which I new to be bogus). I had it calculate a new route and it worked fine.