Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Montreal to NYC: Anyone done this route?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Was just looking at the Supercharging route from Montreal to NYC - with the only superchargers on the way being in Albany, NY and Paramus, NJ. We do this route frequently in our current ICE car to go to NFL games. Has anyone done this route with their Tesla? Any trouble with getting through the Adirondacks on a single charge? The range seems fine, but we're not too sure about the inclines. One of the things holding us back from purchasing a Model S.

Thanks! :)

I believe there is a supercharger just a few miles west of Montreal plus the Newburgh NY supercharger got delayed a bit but should be open by early June. Once I get my car in 10 days I will try this out in a month or two. Montreal is great in the summer!

I too have not done this route although I am planning Miami-Montreal during July or so, with a few side trips along the way. I'm assuming Newburgh will be up and running by then, but there seem to be quite a few CHAdeMo and level 2 options along the way if necessary. I have become accustomed to using several different forms, even including a level 1 wall outlet in a hotel garage, which did supply the requisite 3mph charging. That was OK since i was staying overnight. In a pinch I'm sure that is always an option.

Not much more than a month ago I had near-panic when superchargers were not available. Now, 2000 miles later, I know I'll always be able to find something to fill the odd Supercharge-less location.

Last edited by a moderator:
Montreal - Albany is quite easy to do in the Summer in an 85. As for the Winter, hopefully the Supercharger site planned for the Plattsburgh, NY area will be ready by then. The highway cuts through a valley in the Adirondacks for much of the way. I've seen a lot worse as far as range-sapping elevation changes go.

Thanks for all the replies, everyone! Much appreciated. I'll pass this info along to my father. May push him over the edge and he'll hopefully secure his 85D soon.

I figured Montreal-Albany would be the problem. Even having the supercharger in Plattsburgh would help in this situation. He drives to the NY Jets games every other week, there and back in one day. Quite the trip, and costs us roughly $200 in gas each time. That alone would put enough money back in our pockets to cover a good chunk of our season tickets :)

I believe there is a supercharger just a few miles west of Montreal plus the Newburgh NY supercharger got delayed a bit but should be open by early June. Once I get my car in 10 days I will try this out in a month or two. Montreal is great in the summer!
There are two SC's at the Montreal HQ Tesla location, the largest service centre/store in North America, but nothing else close. Cornwall Ontario is too far west and Drummondville, Qc. is too far east.
We need one in Plattsburgh, NY and Burlington, Vt now in order to make Albany with comfort. Forget it in winter, although I expect, according to the Tesla SC map, that these locations will be finished by next winter.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for all the replies, everyone! Much appreciated. I'll pass this info along to my father. May push him over the edge and he'll hopefully secure his 85D soon.

I figured Montreal-Albany would be the problem. Even having the supercharger in Plattsburgh would help in this situation. He drives to the NY Jets games every other week, there and back in one day. Quite the trip, and costs us roughly $200 in gas each time. That alone would put enough money back in our pockets to cover a good chunk of our season tickets :)

Why not save your money and time and watch the Montreal Alouettes games at home instead!