Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car making noise while sitting in garage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey, whatever happened is better than what happened with my Chevy Volt. One morning a few months ago I went to the garage and it was unusually warm. I instictively opened the garage door and discovered that when my wife or I parked the Volt in the garage the night before, we must not have pushed the start/stop button. When the propulsion battery got low the ICE came on to charge the pack. The garage must have been filled with carbon monoxide. Subsequently, Chevrolet has issued a recall but to fix this problem I will have to make an appointment, take time to take the Volt to the dealer, and arrange transportation back and forth. A similar problem with a Tesla and we would have had an over the air update while we were sleeping. That is the tecnological lead that Tesla has over the competition.

When the propulsion battery got low the ICE came on to charge the pack. The garage must have been filled with carbon monoxide. Subsequently, Chevrolet has issued a recall but to fix this problem I will have to make an appointment, take time to take the Volt to the dealer, and arrange transportation back and forth. A similar problem with a Tesla and we would have had an over the air update while we were sleeping. That is the tecnological lead that Tesla has over the competition.

I don't think you'll have to worry about the ICE coming on in a Tesla. ;)

I'm glad the car does this. Our Leaf must not. I came back from a business trip once and my wife had managed to run the 12v battery dead. I had to jump the Leaf! Jump an electric car!

I believe the Leaf has a "feature" where the 12V battery is only charged from the traction battery when the car is not plugged into the mains. So if you leave a Leaf for a long period of time the advice is to leave it unplugged.

I'm getting an odd fan noise when I open the door to "wake" the car. It's coming from the driver's side front tire area and smart pre conditioning is off, climate controls are off and the noise goes away as soon as I close the door to leave, but if I sit in the car, the noise will just continue and it's very annoying. Video attached.

[video]https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzqlLTVBCI52d2JIeFVITEtlWWc/view?usp=sharing[/video]