Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CommuterCars Tango: A Spokane adventure

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

xytor

Roadster #221
Jan 13, 2015
Seattle
I was in Spokane in my Roadster last weekend and needed a full range charge before heading back to Seattle.
I found a few charging locations on the map. The first I went to at the parking lot of the Avista corporation was full, so I went to another location close by.
It was in the parking lot of the Commuter Cars office. A Nissan Leaf was already parked and charging, but I pulled up to see if there were any more chargers to use. There were not.
But right before I drove away to look for another place, the owner of the Leaf came out of the office and told me to unplug her car and charge up my Roadster.

She turned out to be Alice Woodbury, the co-owner of the company. She invited me in and showed me the Tango, an all-electric two-seater car that's known for being narrower than some motorcycles. It's also very safe, has a decent range, and is quicker than my Roadster. She let me sit in the car, which turned out to have belonged to George Clooney! The seats were amazingly comfortable, and hugged my body way better than the Roadster seats do. The car was also fairly roomy and didn't feel claustrophobic. I felt like I had more space than I do in the Roadster. Though I didn't get to sit in the rear seat, which might not be as comfortable since the passenger has to straddle the raised section of the floor with their feet. I think that's where the battery goes.

There were also a few disassembled cars in the warehouse and some parts lying around. I saw how the two motors connected to the wheels, and other cool parts.

Unfortunately, due to the lack of funding and production capability, the Tango is built by hand and has a hefty price tag of over 200,000 USD.

After some tea and chatting about the Tango and electric vehicles, I showed off the Roadster, which they were impressed by. We concluded that despite all the hard times it had, Tesla Motors was ultimately very lucky to get funded to produce something so fine.

There are only 5 Tango cars in the USA, one of which is in Seattle. Hopefully I can secure a ride!

A very old thread on the Tango is HERE.

I agree that the Tango is an interesting concept. I would have seriously considered one if the price was lower; but couldn't see a way to justify it instead of a Roadster. As many new manufacturers discover, volume is a key determinant of price - so it is REALLY hard to get started with a new car. (And annoying that so many EV makers are deliberately making them in low volumes).

I met Alice's husband Rick at an Automotive X-Prize event about 5 years ago. Nice guy, smart and hard working, and committed not only to solving problems with electric drive, but also trying to attack some of our congestion/road cost issues (an area that most EVs don't help with - in fact, with Tesla drivers typically driving more after buying one, we may be making things worse). I'd love Commuter Cars to get, say, a large fleet order to prime the volume/cost pump.