Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trunk didn't close until I used the key

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

xytor

Roadster #221
Jan 13, 2015
Seattle
Have you ever heard of this problem?
I opened the trunk using the button in the car.
Then, when I tried to close it, both latches didn't catch. The trunk is mostly empty by the way.
Only after I put the key in and twisted it around did the latches catch and I was able to close the trunk.

Then, when I tried to close it, both latches didn't catch. The trunk is mostly empty by the way.
Only after I put the key in and twisted it around did the latches catch and I was able to close the trunk.

Yes, over time, the latches just start acting up. You can mess with the key or you can look to see which latch (eg, left or right) is not grabbing and move the latch with your finger, and then it will engage (and then you go wash your hand!) This is a pretty common issue, and Tesla needs to address mine every year or so.

This hasn't happened to me on Model S....yet, but it has happened on most of the cars I have owned at some point. My wife's old Saab Wagon was the worst for this on the rear hatch.