Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lack of Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Very disappointed in the lack of Super Chargers for the Tesla. How can you not have one in or near major cities such as Cincinnati and Louisville?? Paid $2,000 to have it Super Charged enabled. So far I am paying $500 per charge. Tesla's standard answer is sending the plugshare link. I can't drive to Louisville and back without an extended stay.

And you didn't look to see where the superchargers are before you bought the car? Or where they're planned for the next year? I'd like more superchargers on my routes too, but realize that a company can't build a worldwide network of stations about 130 miles apart in two years, or even three.

Cincinnati and Louisville aren't EV central. Superchargers are build first where they get more bang for the buck.

Very disappointed in the lack of Super Chargers for the Tesla.
Imagine: June 2012 - first cars sold - the new owners didn't even know superchargers would be coming - they were announced to the world Sept 2012. Now there are [almost] three routes across the U.S., and world-wide almost 450 stations with 2,400 plugs. In Canada there's a sudden desert from Calgary to Toronto that won't happen any time soon either, very few buyers (so far!!).

Time is Nature's way of preventing everything from happening all at once. Tesla can't do it all immediately. You bought while we are still in early adopter stage; you'll have to wait for perfection in everything.

Wow. $500 per charge. That may be a new record.
Patience is key. You can't expect tesla to magically install thousands of chargers at once. It takes time. And especially in areas like that with few teslas. Check out this website for future sites. Superchargers

And I believe there are some sites in SDF with HPWC. Maybe the 21c? Or ask any hotel to enroll in the program with tesla.

And superchargers were not intended for in cities but on routes. Not planned as destination charging.

Very disappointed in the lack of Super Chargers for the Tesla. How can you not have one in or near major cities such as Cincinnati and Louisville?? Paid $2,000 to have it Super Charged enabled. So far I am paying $500 per charge. Tesla's standard answer is sending the plugshare link. I can't drive to Louisville and back without an extended stay.
It appears that the service center in Cincinnati will have super chargers and that it will be open very soon. Have you driven by there lately?
Supercharger - Cincinnati, OH service center - Page 4

Back in the day there were only two on the east coast and four on the west coast. We have all been there! ... and it was not fun. Then another one appeared a little closer to home... then another.... and another. Soon we could travel without twelve to sixty hour stops. The network is growing. Once you are Tesla supercharger tied it's magical! You're off to where you want to go ...cruising along on pure sunlight. Your wallet has $ in it. The air we all breathe is a little cleaner. .... because you bought a Tesla!

Last edited:
My model S will be 2 years old next month and I have charged 2 times in Chattanooga Tenn. we need Super Chargers on I 40 West.
thru Memphis and Arkansas. I am in my late 70's and afraid I will not live long enough to visit relatives in west Tennessee.

Easy on him. Yes, Tesla can't magically build thousands of them, but the lack of Supercharger coverage is a valid concern.

......and should probably have been factored in more thoroughly during the decision-to-buy process in order avoid post-hoc remorse and complaint. However, as pointed out by Ugliest in post #4, tolerance level for certain inconveniences will vary according to personal factors related to risk tolerance and priority ordering. The very early adapters put more priority on having the car over and above the lack of superchargers. I am not an early adapter but when I got my MS, the nearest supercharger was about 200 miles away as was the closest service center. Now, I've got 2 Superchargers within 40 miles , a service center inside of 100 miles, and probably more to come. But I can still empathize with the OP as there are still gaps in the network between FL and Chicago which deter me from using the MS for that trip - and I have "bitched" about this in a few posts and also written to TM to give them a piece of my mind.

While I can relate to pulling hair out waiting for supercharger roll out (I live in the midwest), at the same time it's hard to complain when you compare it to the rest of the industry. Tesla is still small compared to other car companies. But how large is Tesla's fast charger network compared to say Chevy's, Ford's, Toyota's, or Honda's fast charge network? I continue to yearn for superchargers in areas where they would actually be useful to me, but I am also very happy for Tesla rolling out any charging network at all; it is revolutionary compared to the competition. Just keep that perspective and it shouldn't bother you nearly as much.

I've always believed that Tesla's charging standard will become the industry charging standard in time. IEEE and other auto companies can piddle about and whine about standards all they want, but in the end it is only Tesla that is bringing the action in an ocean of talk. Actions speak louder than words. Tesla charging is the future. If you want a long range EV, you have a car from the right manufacturer.

Last edited:

Yes, as far as having a Supercharger near your own back door is concerned, there needs to be a few more [Superchargers].

And you are basically still an early adopter, so the next generation of owners will owe a debt to you for helping get the Tesla Brand financial footing and exposure.
Some of us earlier adopters have waited much longer: Texas was not even connected (except to Louisiana) until March of this year.
The closest Supercharger to DFW is 50+ miles away in Corsicana and when Denton opens it will be over 30 miles away.
Superchargers are NOT intended to be located inside most major cities, but as a connecting link in order to travel other cities.

Meanwhile, Tesla currently has at least eleven (known) Superchargers under construction in North America, and several more locations with permits.
My suggestion is to be a bit more patient, look forward to the TM map projections for the end of 2015 and 2016.

While you are "disappointed", I am bloody relieved that so many Options are now available to travel because of the NEW superchargers, over 340 NEW since last April.

You have the best car manufactured, and the best charging network made specifically for that car...

When I purchased my car two years ago, there were only two Superchargers in existence--none closer than about 1500 miles. I went on several trips where I used RV parks and kind Tesla owner's HPWCs. Today there are quite a few SCs I can use--and i'm connected to the network. I just came back yesterday from a two day trip where I used six different ones (and didn't have to use any alternative charging methods). Tesla is building them about as fast as can be expected. Right now I count eleven under construction and seventeen in permitting. That doesn't count the "surprises" where the first time we learn about it is when it's open.

Telsa prioritizes (as far as I can tell) on vehicle population and frequency of expected use. When I purchased my Model S, I was asked what trips I took most frequently. I don't know if they still ask this or not.

I too am very disappointed that Tesla chose to leave I40 as the last E to W route to be filled. There are lots of L2 chargers in the Nashville assert including some at destinations. Nashville to Memphis is tough .

Parkers Crossroad RV Park Yuma TN Good reviews 50 amp 731-968-9939 smallish (35 sites) nice staff. North 1 1/2 miles on Hwy 22 (exit 108)http://www.parkerscrossroadsrvpark.com

I sent email, they replied that they have charged Tesla before, and have full 50 amp service. $5 per hour charge, $15 for hours

Tesla is still small compared to other car companies.

They sold aprox 90,000 cars so far. Let's assume the vast majority was bought with Supercharger access. So that's 90k * $2000 for supercharging per car. With an average cost of aprox $150k per Supercharger, there should now be 1100 Superchargers. There are only 437 so far. Just a little over 1/3 of what they could have done and had the money allocated for. Once built, the cost of running them is pretty small, yet they will continue to cash in $2k per car sold in the future. What worries me is that they are far behind what they could have, but even more so, looking at their 2016 map compared to 2015. Looks like they rate of adding more is slowing down.

They sold aprox 90,000 cars so far. Let's assume the vast majority was bought with Supercharger access. So that's 90k * $2000 for supercharging per car. With an average cost of aprox $150k per Supercharger, there should now be 1100 Superchargers. There are only 437 so far. Just a little over 1/3 of what they could have done and had the money allocated for. Once built, the cost of running them is pretty small, yet they will continue to cash in $2k per car sold in the future. What worries me is that they are far behind what they could have, but even more so, looking at their 2016 map compared to 2015. Looks like they rate of adding more is slowing down.
That's a common misconception. The $2000 supercharger fee for 60's has nothing to do with how much money Tesla spends on building out the supercharger network. The superchargers are a marketing expense, as explained by board member Steve Jurvetson at TMC Connect last year.