Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Intelligent supercharger routing FAIL

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
see pic. 'nuff said.

08330376151b2221d0e1467590bad969.jpg

lol it's only about 150 miles from the syracuse supercharger down through Binghamton and Scranton to the poconos which is extremely easy down the highway and down mountains but yet it wants to route me 400 miles completely out of the way. I think the nav lady smoked some crack before giving me these directions. I mean honestly the route from Albany to Paramus alone is further lol not very smart at all

I had a similar problem routing from the Newburgh area to Harrisburg this week. Nav tried to send me to Newark Delaware. I actually didn't notice and wasn't paying attention when it told me to get on 17 east instead of 84 west. It ended up costing me 20 miles of range by the time I noticed.

I think if it's adding supercharger stops to your route it should confirm it somehow.

This is my guess as to what's going on. The navigation is trying to get you to charge at the nearest SC prior to your destination. The logic is that IF you had nowhere to charge in your destination, you'd still have enough charge to get back to the nearest supercharging station (if you charged to 100% in the nearest SC). BUT if you took the shorter route, it'd have eaten 200 mi from your charge, and you'd be stranded at your destination if you can't charge there.

I'm guessing this, because when I made my trip from FL to NY, the Tesla Nav wanted me to charge in NJ prior to getting into NY. It didn't make sense, because I had enough charge to get from Delaware to NY in one charge (but would leave me with vary little charge left). When I charged in Delaware, I actually purposefully charged more than I needed. When I got back into the car and set my nav to my NY destination again, it didn't suggest the NJ SC to me anymore. So I think the computer knew that I had enough charge now to not be stranded in NY without enough juice to get to a nearby SC. Therefore it allowed me to skip the NJ SC.

So it seems like the Tesla Nav just doesn't want you to end up stranded.

I had a similar issue with the Nav (actually many times at different locations), but in route to the Independence, MO supercharger from St. Charles, with about 100 miles to go, I entered the Independence supercharger as my destination. The Nav told me to turn around head back to St. Charles, into IL, WI, MN, SD, and down through IA to get to Independence. This was a 1200 mile detour. I was about 100 miles from Independence with plenty of charge left (10% extra) at the time I entered the info in NAV. No idea what logic was used to guide me.
No, I didn't turn around. :)

I just finished a solo cross country trip, and many times the NAV would send me back to a supercharger right after I had done a charge with +15-20% above what I needed.

I had a similar issue with the Nav (actually many times at different locations), but in route to the Independence, MO supercharger from St. Charles, with about 100 miles to go, I entered the Independence supercharger as my destination. The Nav told me to turn around head back to St. Charles, into IL, WI, MN, SD, and down through IA to get to Independence. This was a 1200 mile detour. I was about 100 miles from Independence with plenty of charge left (10% extra) at the time I entered the info in NAV. No idea what logic was used to guide me.
No, I didn't turn around. :)

I just finished a solo cross country trip, and many times the NAV would send me back to a supercharger right after I had done a charge with +15-20% above what I needed.

Now imagine if you had autopilot on haha.

Well yours isn't half as idiotic as mine was. Here's a pic:

image1.JPG

Basically, I was in Tartu, about 180km from home and battery at 65% so absolutely a no-brainer that I'd make it home. Now if you take a look at a map of Estonia, I was driving from Tartu to Tallinn and the navigation decided that arriving with 21% battery is risky so it went to look for superchargers. There are none in Estonia so it looked for the closest one, which is in Sweden ... which is a ferry trip from TALLINN away... So the genius navigation told me to:

1) Drive past my home
2) To Tallinn,
3) then drive to St Petersburg
4) and then back to Turku in Finland
5) Take a ferry to Stockholm
6) Drive to Vasby
7) charge for 1h 20 min
8) return

All together a 180km trip was super fast converted to a 1300km trip that went from 2h to 28h including a couple of ferries, getting a visa to enter russia and what not else :D Best part of course was that it told me drive past my home within 1km on my way there.

Once I hit the "Remove all charging stops" the system nicely figured out that I'd arrive home with 21% battery left and was happy, but for what ever reason every time I start navigating from Tartu to Tallinn with 50-70% battery left it will tell me to go to Vasby to charge, which is absolutely idiotic.

I reported the findings to Tesla, got back some vague "navigation will improve in the future when there are more superchargers" yada yada. I sure hope it actually reached an engineer as I reported it on 7th of April and I think the latest updates still had this bug as yesterday traveling from Pärnu to Tallinn I think it again thought I should go to Vasby even though I had 230km left and a 130km trip to home. So this trip planner is totally hosed.

see pic. 'nuff said.

I have a worse one. I was parked at the Barrie supercharger, still plugged in. I was heading north to Sudbury and so keyed in my destination.

It routed me from the Barrie supercharger, 90 south to the Toronto supercharger for a charge, back north to the Barrie supercharger (where I was presently parked) for another top-up and then north to Sudbury.

Yes... it needs a bit of work.