Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S and the Hearing Impaired

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone,

Around the time the CPO site launched I started looking at the Model S. As is the same with many of you, I was afraid to perform a test drive because I knew that I would fall in love with the car. I eventually gave in and drove the S85D and then the S70D.

My last 2 cars were a 2001 Mustang Convertible Stage 2 Roush and most recently a 2011 Subaru STI. Both of these had/have performance mods and were LOUD. As I've grown up a bit I've come to appreciate performance and a quiet ride and of course loved the Model S.

Next came the harder part, convincing the better half. I scheduled another test drive for her this time and was waiting as she was driving to see that Tesla grin. She did a pretty good job holding out until she was merging onto the highway and was able to get on the accelerator.

Now the really cool part that I wanted to share is that my wife is hearing impaired and has to wear hearing aids in order to hear anything. While driving, her hearing aids will automatically change settings in order to amplify front cabin sounds and will lower sounds coming from a distance. This requires her to manually switch settings back and forth if she's in the front and is trying to have a conversation between people in the front and rear of the car.

Now I'm sure this is the same with any EV but her hearing aids NEVER switched and it was the first time in her life she could listen to the radio and carry a conversation with somebody in the front and rear at the same time. Needless to say, she's sold!

Great story !

I'm also hearing impaired (not much), and I must say that having discussions in a car can be quite problematic, especially with the radio on. I do not have a manual setting on my hearing aids as your wife has. Sometimes I wish I could set it better.
I find it easier to follow conversations (from both front and back) when I am in the front than in the back.

Needless to say, one of my first criteria's in a car is the noise level inside.

My 8-month old son has mild-moderate hearing loss and wears aids. We're very careful to keep his background noise down so he can get the most "incidental learning" for language development. (There are no settings or noise reduction features for pediatric aids.) Being in a car seat and not seeing our faces can make communication even more difficult. The noise level of the Tesla was definitely a great added perk, knowing he'll hear us more clearly during the important first few years. Your first-hand story is reassuring... Thank you for sharing.

I'm hearing impaired too and I find I need to adjust my aids much, much less in the MS than in other cars. On the other hand I periodically come across posts in the forum that address various noises and their causes or associated problems and I start wondering if I am missing something that could presage or indicate trouble. :tongue:

I also wear a hearing aid and commented on Tesla Model S and hearing impaired sometime back in one of the forum. It would be great if the mobile phone app could be "imported" as a Tesla app to control volume etc. It would also be great if the Audio has a good equalizer that could be adjusted for a specific frequency hearing loss. Tesla could become a great senior friendly car as I do believe a large number of Tesla users are in an older age group.
When I wear my hearing aid, I usually reduce Tesla radio volume substantially. This is a great comfort for me as I could hear the words more clearly.