Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I got a notice

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey Guys
I was wondering. I am installing a 14-50 plug in my garage. I was wondering how many of you have installed the Tesla plug instead. It would make sence to have the cord in your car with you all the time but most charges have a cord. Unless you are travelling a lot in the outback

Congrats on your new car jmccrack!

I have a 14-50 in my garage, and it is perfect.
Since I have a single charger in my car, that is plenty of power for overnight charging (filling to 80%).
Only if you have dual chargers in your car and you needed to recharge during the day would the HPWC make sense.

I visited my sister a couple of weeks ago, and even the 110 V plug gave me a lot of range in 36 hours of charging.
If you drive any kind of long mileage, I DO NOT recommend using a 110V as your sole daily charge: it is way too slow.

Congrats. Waiting for production to end is the hardest thing because you never know what's going to happen. I came across a post on the Tesla Motors forum where one persons car failed QC so badly that they had to start from scratch with a new VIN.

I keep having to check the website because for some reason Tesla hasn't been emailing me status updates.

They have no problems sending me financial updates though.

Can't wait till it finishes production.

Here are my reasons

1.) Looks way nicer than the mobile connector setup
2.) Allows the mobile connector to be a backup
3.) Allows me to keep the mobile connector with me in case I need to use it at a 14-50 camp site or some other place where I'll need it
4.) At my house it was a trivial amount more for a 100A circuit so I went with that
5.) It allowed me to put my house on plugshare as a 80A HPWC capable. Not sure if anyone will ever need to use it, but I believe in the plugshare concept.

I'm still debating whether I'll have a 14-50 installed at my brothers house or an HPWC. The 14-50 would be way more useful to him because it's just a socket type. But, a HPWC would be so much more funny.

He's 40-50 miles south of me so I'll never actually need to use it. But, as an Oh-Crap it would be a nice place to stop. Plus I'll leave my car at his house when I leave for my various epic vacations.

Thanks for the info guys. Helps a lot. We are going to have a 14-50 installed at our sons place as well. He lives a long ways away and when we stay with him we will be able to plug in. I will let you know when I get my Tesla. I wonder how long "transit" takes. The car is built in California and I live in BC........how long can it take:biggrin:

Too long, I'm sure!

By the way if you're interested you can join the Victoria Leaf Club (Victoria Leaf Club - Electric Vehicle News and Events) in the interim, despite the name it has morphed to a sort of non-denominational group of EV owners. In addition, an unrelated effort is National Drive Electric Week Event - Victoria in Sept, where you can show your parked new baby off, offer rides or even short test drives to the uninitiated. Nothing like a "butt in the seat" to get the message across!