Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Newbie questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all

A dream came true! Since about 1 1/2 weeks I'm a proud owner of a "new" CPO Model S.

I noticed that I loose overnight (approx. 9h) 5 miles of range, after the battery was recharged to 90%.
I read about the vampire loss of range but still not sure whether this is normal?

I also get 234 miles of rated range after loading up to 90%. Would you consider this as ok for a 2 years old car?

Any feedback highly appreciated!

Depending on the conditions, how you have the energy saver settings configured, and how long "overnight" means, 5 miles is reasonable. I usually see between 2-3 miles overnight with energy saver enabled.

234 miles is very good for 90%. It's more a question of miles than years old. My almost 2 year old MS with 47,000 miles charges to around 227 on 90%.

Let's start with the simple stuff. "Vampire drain" is dependent upon the settings. If you turn on energy saving mode, you'll reduce the number of miles lost per day, with the trade-off being that it can take 10 seconds for the car to become ready from the time you open the door.

Hi all
I noticed that I loose overnight (approx. 9h) 5 miles of range, after the battery was recharged to 90%.
I read about the vampire loss of range but still not sure whether this is normal?!

Do you leave the car plugged in after charging is complete? Or do you disconnect and leave it unconnected for the rest of the night? If unplugged, the loss could be vampire drain eating into the charge. When I got up at about 6:15 this AM, my iPhone had a message saying that charging was completed to 166 miles at 2:28. It is now 7:25 with the car still connected, and a spot check a few minutes ago after reading your post showed it was still at 166 miles.

Last edited:
Do you leave the car plugged in after charging is complete? Or do you disconnect and leave it unconnected for the rest of the night? If unplugged, the loss could be vampire drain eating into the charge. When I got up at about 6:15 this AM, my iPhone had a message saying that charging was completed to 166 miles at 2:28. It is now 7:25 with the car still connected, and a spot check a few minutes ago after reading your post showed it was still at 166 miles.

Just to be clear you'll get vampire drain even when plugged in all night. If you want to avoid losing much schedule you charges to happen such that they'll finish by early morning.

I haven't bothered to schedule my charges, I just plug in and let the car charge whenever I get home. It's usually only 3-4 miles and isn't worth the hassle of the car gaining some additional range if we go out and about after I get home from work.