Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Self-driving cars & parking - will there be new laws?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SebastianR

Feb 8, 2013
Denmark
I think there is one thing about self-driving cars, that is not yet in the collective minds of people just yet: if cars can move themselves, we could sleep, work, live in cars without human intervention. We could even recharge doing that. We also don't have to be in the car while the car is driving.

As a consequence, we my see a whole lot of new challenges: E.g. in NYC parking is prohibitively expensive. I could see people being dropped by their Model S, then the car starts to cruise until the car is called back to the front door. Imagine what this would do to traffic.

Also, if you imagine the loitering / camping / stopping laws we have in specific places - if we think this further to self-driving RVs, will we have places where not "auto pilot is allowed"?

What kinds of new problems (and thus new laws) do we see coming with self-driving cars?

As a consequence, we may see a whole lot of new challenges: E.g. in NYC parking is prohibitively expensive. I could see people being dropped by their Model S, then the car starts to cruise until the car is called back to the front door. Imagine what this would do to traffic.

It's going to be decades or even longer before "self driving cars" could navigate city driving, pedestrians, bikes, couriers, emergency vehicles, sirens, lights, signs, and traffic, if ever. Right now, "self driving cars" can do very specific things in very controlled environments... like lane keeping on the highway, or adaptive cruise control, or doing a simple "pass" maneuver -- which STILL requires the driver to make sure there isn't a car closing fast in the left lane -- no car sensors are that good yet.

I personally don't think we'll need to worry about "self driving cars" cruising around NYC waiting for their owners in my lifetime.

Or as I've posted before, sooner *if every car on the road* is automated, and you 100% remove the human element.

There will have to be new laws for sure. And I'm sure some countries will plain make it illegal at first.

There is a huge positive potential. A lot of traffic jams are caused by human behavior which could be avoided if all cars would be automated and communicate with each other. Traffic in general would be much better if all cars would communicate.
In terms of safety and accidents, people always assume an automated car would have to be perfect. That's nonsense. An automated car just has to be as good or better in terms of safety as the average driver. That would already be a big step forward. Unfortunately it will be hard to convince people. Just look at EVs. there is no doubt they are better for the environment. They are not perfectly clean, of course. But that's what the critics use to argue against it. They say, 'look the EVs still produce CO2'. Self driving cars will suffer the same criticism. They won't be perfect, there will be accidents and people will use that to show how unsafe it is. The media and average people like to look at single incidents that are dramatic and draw conclusions from that.