Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Home link

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wish they would program it so your main homelink button (on the main VDS) always activated your primary homelink option. If you have more than one, then you go into the menu to get to it. Shouldn't be too hard for them to program.

Last edited:
Seems like the VDS should be able to remember the preference by location, no?

That's a great point. I didn't even think about that. It does it for the charge settings so no reason why it couldn't do it. It's just convenient to just push a single button when approaching your garage instead of going through 3 screens. I guess it could be a problem is someone programmed 2 different garage doors at the same location though but that doesn't apply to me.

That's a great point. ... I guess it could be a problem is someone programmed 2 different garage doors at the same location though but that doesn't apply to me.

Yes, but even for those with 2 doors at one location, they usually only use one... the one by the charger :wink:
If a person with 2 doors at one location wanted to use the other door, he/she could navigate through the 3 screens. Personally, I think using the GPS info is a great idea.

Makes sense. Usually two separate garage doors would use two separate signals so you're right, wouldn't be a problem. I added a second one but then deleted it from VDS so the main button would work my home garage and just carry around the second remote until the fix this. I imagine it would be a simple fix in the firmware for Tesla. I'm going to mention to my Tesla sales contact person.

My garage door uses a 40Mhz remote, and is about 10 years old.
Doesn't say Homelink anywhere, but i tried it anyway. It registered, and works perfect!

Makes me happy, as the remote took up 20% of the available space in the glove box :smile:

I like the UI just the way it is - I have a gate to get through first, then one of two garage doors. I hit the Homelink button, then I see 'Gate South North'. Much easier that way than to hit the Homelink, have the gate open, then have to hit again to find the other menu options. And I'd be annoyed every day leaving the house because I'd want the garage door first, not 'gate'.

Just tried that Andy...it was a no go...Liftmaster is on Homelink's partner list...I wonder if there is a hardware problem with the speaker...

My garage door openers are Liftmaster and easily worked with Homelink. (The gate took a bit more, require a module so it could talk to Homelink.)

What I don't understand is how anyone could program it away from the garage. In programming mine, after Homelink accepted the signal from the remote, the next instruction was to complete the registration within 30 seconds by pressing the programming button on the actual Liftmaster unit.

BTW, a friend of mine (Hey Timothy!) was noticing that via OVMS his Roadster's Homelink seemed to have a longer range.

Well, at first that made no sense to me, but then I thought that maybe OVMS was sending a longer duration signal. So, when I got home I tried holding down the Homelink "button" for a longer time - and sure enough - it opened from further away!

18 months and I'm just finding this out!?! What threw me off was the "bop" sound when you press the button. That short sound makes it seem like holding wouldn't do any good - after all you don't get a longer sound or a repeat sound. But, turns out that empirical evidence seems to indicate that holding down the button sends a longer signal, which means you're more likely to be able to open your garage door/gate from further away.

Also, I sometimes had to try a few times to get my gate opened. By holding, it now always opens first time.

BTW, per previous discussion here, my gate uses a new Liftmaster opener (battery backup!) and needed nothing special to work with my Roadster.

I'm terribly sorry for not posting that a year ago! I too had assumed because of the "bop" sound that it was only sensitive to the first push.

I only discovered that I could hold it the button down about... 18 months after getting the car. I'm detecting a pattern here.

Proof positive that even minute details of UI feedback can have a big effect on usability.

What we need now is two-way communication. You tell the garage door to open, and it acknowledges back. Then the car can keep pressing as you drive up until it gets the response, or times out. Come 'on guys, we're in the 21st century now!

BTW, a friend of mine (Hey Timothy!) was noticing that via OVMS his Roadster's Homelink seemed to have a longer range.

I have to use the Homelink twice to get home. First on a gate; then on the garage door.

What I have noticed is this: when I press the Homelink button on the car and I am too far away from the gate, the gate doesn't open. When I push the Homelink button on the OVMS from too far away, the gate doesn't open either. BUT when I continue driving towards the gate, it then opens without pushing the Homelink button a second time. I am within line of sight of the gate the entire time.

When I try this on my garage door, I push the OVMS button about a hundred yards away from the garage. I am down a hill and around a corner from the garage--completely out of sight. When I turn the bend and crest the hill and am in sight of the garage--20 yards away, the door then opens without pushing the button again. This does not happen when I push the Homelink button in the car that far away. For the garage door to open with the Homelink button on the car, I have to be 20 yards away and in line of sight.

And either way, the garage door can be opened from 20 yards away, but the gate only 5 yards away. A big but consistent difference in distance.

So I don't really have longer range with the OVMS, I can just push the button further away from the gate/garage. But the gate/garage starts opening the same distance from the car whether I use the OVMS or car Homelink button.

The OVMS just seems a lot cooler!

Go figger.

Comments here about OVMS homelink vs VDS homelink are bizarre. The OVMS homelink just sends exactly the same codes as the VDS homelink. The reason I know is because we got the codes by looking at those sent by the VDS. The codes are sent on the CAN bus to the homelink unit, which then just does the transmission.

Perhaps this is a "bug" in OVMS? Perhaps there is a "start homelink" and "stop homelink" code and we're only sending the first one. I'll raise it on the developers forum.