Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A QUIZ for you brainiacs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

AudubonB

One can NOT induce accuracy via precision!
Mar 24, 2013
Barely ambulatory after 8 1/2 days now, I'm up to no good....

So - this might be a Grand Old Chestnut, so don't cheat by googling, now!

Please make sense out of the following. Do not fall into the obvious trap - that "means" nothing. The correct answer has real meaning.

That is all.....49 Teslapoints to the first correct answer.

Okay then, it is time for a clue.

A hair-curdling, gut-screeching clue (ouch - that's getting a bit close to home here).

So....

given that " .=. " is my just-invented symbol for "is the logical equivalent of", then here goes.

CLUE

12112 .=. 11112

oh gawdimgonnabebannedforlife....for my own protection against the pitchforks

So! Now you have a clue! And, it will keep you from falling into the trap. Should make y'allz happy.

I wonder if Elon's found this one yet? Hmm,,,,

Hey Mr. Musk! I absolutely guarantee that you do NOT want to be spending your time and prodigious talents on this! Go do something productive, like, ummm....telling Diarmuid my proposal has merit.

Time's up. I'm off to new misadventures.

So, as much as I love mathematics, those who [strikethrough]follow[/strikethrough] are beset by my posts should have realized that I am passionate about words. Props to ww73, then, for mentioning "look-and-say sequence" because that well describes this.

It is, to the horror of the Short-term Trading Thread crowd, out of a ditty about two race horses. As follows

OneOne was one race horse
OneTwo was one, too.
OneOne won one race, and
OneTwo won one, too.

Being the logical equivalent of:

OneOne was one race horse
OneTwo was one, too.
OneTwo won one race, and
OneOne won one, too.

On edit to provide numeralization:

11 was 1 race horse
12 was 12
1111 race, and

etc.

​Hey! What are those bricks coming through my screen!

Last edited:
What? Here's one:

Three Tesla owners go to a charging station at their hotel while on a road trip. The bellboy tells them it's $10 per charge so they each give the bellboy $10. The bellboy takes the $30 to the front desk and the manager tells him that they have "special" of 3 charges for $25. So the bellboy goes to the hotel room and tells the owners that he has a $5 refund. The owners can't split the $5 among them so they each take $1 and give the bellboy a $2 tip.

That means that each owner paid $9 for their charge ($10 minus the $1 they got back) and 3 x 9 = $27 plus $2 tip to the bellboy = $29... so where's the other dollar???

What? Here's one:

Three Tesla owners go to a charging station at their hotel while on a road trip. The bellboy tells them it's $10 per charge so they each give the bellboy $10. The bellboy takes the $30 to the front desk and the manager tells him that they have "special" of 3 charges for $25. So the bellboy goes to the hotel room and tells the owners that he has a $5 refund. The owners can't split the $5 among them so they each take $1 and give the bellboy a $2 tip.

That means that each owner paid $9 for their charge ($10 minus the $1 they got back) and 3 x 9 = $27 plus $2 tip to the bellboy = $29... so where's the other dollar???

The owners paid $27. The hotel got $25 and the bellboy got $2 of it.

Still missing the dollar from the $30 they initially paid.

@richkae is correct. They each gave $10 originally. They collectively got $5 back (not $3) - so each got back $1.66 back. They each gave their extra $0.66 to the bellboy for a collective tip of $2. In the end, they paid $9 each for a total of $27. $25 of that went to the hotel and $2 went to the bellboy. The statement "$27 plus $2 tip to the bellboy" is the problem. It should be $27 *including* the $2 tip for the bellboy.

@richkae is correct. They each gave $10 originally. They collectively got $5 back (not $3) - so each got back $1.66 back. They each gave their extra $0.66 to the bellboy for a collective tip of $2. In the end, they paid $9 each for a total of $27. $25 of that went to the hotel and $2 went to the bellboy. The statement "$27 plus $2 tip to the bellboy" is the problem. It should be $27 *including* the $2 tip for the bellboy.

Yes, he was right and I gave him rep points for getting it but I also told him I was just trying to confuse things with my answer to him. So I'll give you rep point too and end it here.

It was a good one though, wasn't it?

Here is another one similar to the OP's. Continue this series of numbers:

I can get to a non-ridiculous reading-out of the first thirteen digits with no issue. The problem I have with yours is that I offered a pure homonymic - but there is no homonym for "three", nor for any (base-10) numbers "11" or greater. So I'll bow out showing my first thirteen, and how to read them:

One won one. Two won one, too. One (that) one won...won one, too!

I can get to a non-ridiculous reading-out of the first thirteen digits with no issue. The problem I have with yours is that I offered a pure homonymic - but there is no homonym for "three", nor for any (base-10) numbers "11" or greater. So I'll bow out showing my first thirteen, and how to read them:

One won one. Two won one, too. One (that) one won...won one, too!

Maybe this will help:
1 11 21 1211 111221 312211 13112221 1113213211