Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lease vs Finance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys/gals,
I am soon gonna be a proud owner of s70d and wanted to know if anyone had some idea which is better. Lease vs Finance. From a business lease vs personal loan.
I was told that if leasing (under a business) you can only right off a maximum $900 a month and if I were to finance it I can invoice the business .50c a km. Was wondering if anyone had this similar issue and if so what did you do?

Appreciate any help..

I'm self-employed and used to lease all of my cars prior to my Tesla. When I got mine 18 months ago, leasing was not an option in Ontario so I financed mine with the Scotia 7 year @ 3.99% package being offered by Tesla. What I now do for taxes is use the car allowance price per km that the CRA allows. This is an all in amount so you don't claim other expenses separately. When I compared the leasing method to this one, I think I'm doing better using the mileage allowance.

Thanks serving. I'm now being torn between these 2 issues and feel that I'm gonna lean towards leasing in the event tesla goes bad (20% chance) at least I'll have someone to buy the car in case. I dont want this but could happen.

I also take the mileage approach, I believe it's $0.55/km for the first 5000km/year, and $0.50/km thereafter. In general I drive about 35k per year 20-25k for business.