Page 3 of 35 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: PEM, motor gets too hot -- fans failed

Quote Originally Posted by Eberhard View Post
    i carry a spare blower with me. i left germany 2 weeks ago to see elon musk and JB Straubel in Milan. then i drove to Spain. Just before Valencia the same. on the autovia i have to push from underneath, where the blower sits and he started to spin again. was fine for 2000km but now i just passed Geneve and its raining and snowing now. think will not take long now.
    on saturday i will charge my car in munic in the teslastore. hope they can check it.
    Thanks for your hints and I wish you a safe journey home. May be that's the reason why the Tesla connector is so heavy
    Wouldn't need a hammer ....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaff View Post
    Geez guys, we here in Canada drive in these conditions all of the time...I've never seen an error message.
    I've never had an error due to cold, either. The Roadster doesn't mind the cold one bit.

You can get the rare error for no obvious reason. There was a timing problem in a previous firmware version that occasionally caused my car to shut down moments after starting it. A firmware update cleaned that up.

About a week ago I had the VDS crash entirely when I unplugged and tried to start it. When it came back up it was showing far less range than it should have, but that went back to normal sometime after I parked it.

Maybe this is a coincidence, but I seem to get more gremlins when I charge at 70A.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Eberhard View Post
    i carry a spare blower with me
    I don't understand why you have so much trouble with your fan. Weird.

Then only thing I've ever noticed about the fan in the back... after leaving the car in storage for about a month it was kinda growling a little bit at first. I assumed it had accumulated some crud or something, but it went back to normal.

How do you access the PEM fan; your comment seemed to suggest you could reach it from underneath?

Items for Sale
    150 kms / day? ...wow Talk, you guys are really packing on the kms!

At 40 kms / day, I'm the wimp!

Quote Originally Posted by Talkredius View Post
    My daily average is > 150 km and today 360 km, odometer about 16.500 km, my guess, Eberhard is in the same range or more

and yes I would fully understand if you as Canadian would call me a wimp
    Member Southern Ontario Tesla Owners Club

Quote Originally Posted by Doug_G View Post
    I don't understand why you have so much trouble with your fan. Weird.
    my guess, it's not the cold itself but the moisture, at -2C° the snow melts, the German Autobahn is often overcrowded by trucks, which are making a cloud of moisture all the time and me driving behind them...

below -10 C° I would expect a quite dry cold which wouldn't have any effect on the fan, but who knows ...

Quote Originally Posted by Doug_G View Post
    How do you access the PEM fan; your comment seemed to suggest you could reach it from underneath?
    yes, the service manager says so, should be 20 min. work
    I'll get my new fan tomorrow and will change it on monday in the tire shop of my brother (actually he will do the job) I'll take some pictures and post them here in a new thread. But perhaps Eberhard is quicker than me ...

Quote Originally Posted by Jaff View Post
    150 kms / day? ...wow Talk, you guys are really packing on the kms!

At 40 kms / day, I'm the wimp!
    hansjoerg von Gemmingen is our hero, and if the electric miles counter on the Tesla website is running quite fast, be sure we are on the road again

as Tesla says : electric cars are meant to be driven

I just did more then 5000km within 16 days. Despite my fears, the blower is still working fine. Blue sky over bavaria. I just get my car recharged in Munic. When I arrive home, i will have made 700km on a single day.
    Roadster EU#421 156.000km MS Sig P85+ 68.000km

On my way back home my fan stopped working, when I got into the rain again, but it was exciting driving, always have a look in the back mirror for trucks which want to pass me, switching the VDM from temperature to ideal miles (I started with a SOC just to the point of my travel distance, no reserve) and keep everything in balance. Kept me fresh and awake.
    But I made it home without any bigger problems.

After recharging overnight I found the error ID-947, "shutdown system is to hot" on my display. That looks to me as if the fan is needed also during charging. I thought first it is only used to cool down the power semiconductors.

Some slaps with my hand to the rear underbody cover on the left side started the fan again. Thanks to the service manager in Munich, who suggested this.

I am confused.

I genuinely thought the PEM was liquid cooled (along with the battery), with the motor being air cooled.

thats how it starts until it has to be replaced. the slaps helps the blower to break free. the blower is also need for charging. if it doesn't start spinning, you will get this error-message. it happens to me too. the blower is only IP33.
    Roadster EU#421 156.000km MS Sig P85+ 68.000km

Thread Information