Page 1 of 35 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: PEM, motor gets too hot -- fans failed

PEM, motor gets too hot -- fans failed

Does some other owner has problem with teh PEM, shuting down because fan does not work. I have my new roadster 3 weeks. one week ago after traveling through havy snowfall. I recharged my car through the night. text day, after driving for 10minutes i got the error message #1144. I was already on my way to Zürich. the message popped up serveral times until it got steady. 300m away from the Tesla Store, the System shuted down the entire system because of overheating of the drive drain". I managed to get the last distance to the Tesla store, whrer they replaced the PEm`s cooling fan, because of well known contact problems. But one week later, same happend again.
    I could restart the fan by advice of the german service manager. I managed to reach home. After 2 hours, i managed to start to charge the batterie. The fan seemed to work again. Next day, i drove 80km but then again, error message #1144. But this time i didnt manage to restart the fan. i called my wife to pick me up and to wait until the PEM is cooled of.
    anyone with same expirience?

Eberhard

Blog Entries
    I've had a noisy motor fan but never failure. Have you checked your fuse box for a blown fuse?

WARNING: Danger of Electric Shock! Vehicle may accelerate quicker than anticipated.

the service manager told me, that they experience electrical contact problems and freezing fans in the cold

I opened the back cover and checked the fan. After knocking against the fan with a screwdriver, it started to turn. it seems he was clampted by the wet and icy driving condition in the winter cold.
    I will get a new fan to replace this one.

Today i got the new fan/blower. i will replace the old one within the next days.

I have had my fans replaced twice (first after 5000km and then after 12000km). Now I'm at 25000km, winter again and salty roads....
    This is a known issue and Tesla is working on a permanent solution, I've been told.
    / FirstSwede

If only IceCap made fans in that size...

(IceCap makes equipment for aquarium hobbyists, including salt-water hardened fans for ventilation - the ones in our tank in the sump area - think 80 degrees with salt crusting everywhere - lasted about 4 years before even starting to fail).

Saving for a Model 3
    Quote Originally Posted by SByer View Post
    If only IceCap made fans in that size...
    Two words: Special Order

CJ Barlow

"Until we see every car on the road being electric, we will not stop." - Elon Musk

The new fan is working fine. The old one was quite rosty, but i didnt found something wich may block the rotor. it turns as easily like the new one. But i cannot understand, that all the rust could happen within one week only? Now my motor is getting quite hot. second yellow field but i was only running with 20-30kw. not enough cooling air?, will my motor-blower fail too? it is the same model like the blower for the PEM.

Hot Motor

Today i rode a little bit faster than usual, but within 30kW range not faster than 140km/h. the indicator went into the yellow zone. After leaving the autobahn i slowed down into the 200W/km range but even then the indicator rose to yellow 2. after having problems with the air-blower for the PEM I fear similar problems with the identical blower for the motor. Did someone have similar experience. OutsideTemperature was around zero celsius. Eberhard

Thread Information