Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Disable reverse safety feature in valet mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I keep getting valets complaining that they had trouble putting car intro reverse - it turns out it is the safety feature where it will shift into park from reverse when the seat pressure is reduced and no seat belts are on. I wish Tesla would disable this feature in valet mode since valets rarely wear the seat belts.

I think the reasoning is: In reverse, if you overdo it on the accelerator you'll get thrown out of your seat, toward the steering wheel, and more importantly your foot will tend to push harder on the accelerator, making things worse. I see this actually as a pretty good safety feature that you don't see in other cars.

Having said that, I thought this only applied when one of your doors is open. (I tested this about 2 years ago, and that's how I remember it behaving at that time).

I think the reasoning is: In reverse, if you overdo it on the accelerator you'll get thrown out of your seat, toward the steering wheel, and more importantly your foot will tend to push harder on the accelerator, making things worse. I see this actually as a pretty good safety feature that you don't see in other cars.

I would hope, and I will never try this out, that the car will not accelerate and go as fast in reverse as it goes forward.

It doesn't. I've tried :). I think it maxes around 20 mph. Doesn't accelerate as hard in reverse (fortunately), but enough to throw you out of your seat and cause a crash if you're not buckled in and careful.

Hmm... not my experience. P85D will accelerate quickly in reverse. I semi-punched it a couple of times in reverse and was pretty surprised that it didn't feel limited at all. I havent tried any > 20 MPH reverse driving though.

My P85 is power limited in reverse and has a top speed of 20ish (from what I remember)

And I've had the car go into park at a light before just by taking lifting my butt off the seat. can't remember if it was with or without seat belt on, but the door was for sure closed.

My P85 is power limited in reverse and has a top speed of 20ish (from what I remember)

And I've had the car go into park at a light before just by taking lifting my butt off the seat. can't remember if it was with or without seat belt on, but the door was for sure closed.

I've definitely had at least one embarrassing skid to a stop while backing into a parking spot when the car apparently thought I bailed out while it was moving. Door closed, but no belt on so I could see into the blind spot.