Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Use HPWC with 14-50 - instructions?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm thinking now I'd like to keep the free supplied adapter cable in the car with me and get the HPWC for home, even though we just installed the 14-50 plug.

I don't mind using the HPWC at 40 amps still so was hoping there was a way to just wire it with a plug into the 14-50 outlet instead of directly to circuit breaker, etc. Has anyone else did this? Is there a good/dependable plug/wire set available already?

Sort of like you would do with other wall chargers that plug into a 14-50; like Chargepoint Home, etc.

(EDIT)
So after more research looks like you can just get a 2nd UMC and keep that with you as some people just mount those on the wall. Any links to solid/reliable mounting ideas out there - besides the coat hook solution?

Last edited:
I'm thinking now I'd like to keep the free supplied adapter cable in the car with me and get the HPWC for home, even though we just installed the 14-50 plug.

I don't mind using the HPWC at 40 amps still so was hoping there was a way to just wire it with a plug into the 14-50 outlet instead of directly to circuit breaker, etc. Has anyone else did this? Is there a good/dependable plug/wire set available already?

Sort of like you would do with other wall chargers that plug into a 14-50; like Chargepoint Home, etc.

(EDIT)
So after more research looks like you can just get a 2nd UMC and keep that with you as some people just mount those on the wall. Any links to solid/reliable mounting ideas out there - besides the coat hook solution?
You can just wire a lead to the HPWC (look for a 6 gauge electric range lead with a 14-50 plug). However, I don't think this is "legal" since the HPWC is designed to be hard wired. To make it legal, wire the HPWC to the box where your 14-50 plug is installed.

If you want to use your UMC, you can buy the wire hanger separately from the Tesla store. It's only $25 and is quite attractive.
Tesla Gear Shop Replacement Wall Connector Cable Organizer

I'd recommend buying an HPWC which is $750. A replacement UMC is $650. You'll need to buy one or the other. You don't really want to leave home without a charging cable.

You can just wire a lead to the HPWC (look for a 6 gauge electric range lead with a 14-50 plug). However, I don't think this is "legal" since the HPWC is designed to be hard wired. To make it legal, wire the HPWC to the box where your 14-50 plug is installed.

Designed for and required are two separate things. I looked for it once and did not find any requirement that it be hard-wired in the instructions (which would trigger the 110.3 manufacturer's instructions section). Provided that an appropriate listed receptacle is used (14-50) with the 50A setting along with appropriate cord, it is my opinion that it is not unsafe nor illegal to connect the HPWC via a stove cord on a NEMA 14-50 (it's permitted by art 625).

HOWEVER, you're limited to a 12-inch length of cord per section 625.17(A)(3)(a). It may not be longer.

I would go with the HPWC over a second UMC. It's built sturdier, the cord is longer.

I don't have any instructions for it, but you'll need an appropriate cord clamp on the HPWC, a length of 6/3 SOOW rubber cord, and a NEMA 14-50P plug. Black and white will go to the outside two blades (hot) - wrap the end of the insulation on the white wire with electrical tape to remark it as a hot conductor. Green goes to the round ground pin, the center blade will go unused.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice and ideas! To keep it easy, I just ordered a 2nd UMC to mount "creatively" in the garage with the cord hook. The more I think about it, just for a feeling for confidence I'll be able to charge almost anywhere, I want to have a UMC in the car all of the time - just in case, and if I don't, I'll forget it or it'll be a pain to pack up and unpack on regular basis.

Thanks again!