Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help me with my quandary (a sunroof issue - to get or not to get?)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm new to the community, and operate a large wine forum, so while I've spent many months lurking here, jealous of the feature set this forum software has, and now the time has come for me to get my own Tesla Model S, 85d (likely in the Fall)

My decisions have been pored over through the last few months, and after my thorough test drive, I'm stuck with a quandary that few might have - headroom. I'm not super tall - 6'2" - but I'm long torso, so headroom is a problem for me, typically. When I took the test drive, I noted in the vehicle (WITH sunroof) that the A pillar and front roof brace were somewhat in line of sight - not a big deal, I guess, but even with the seat all the way down, it was unusual to see. When I sat in the model without a sunroof, I found more headroom, particularly at ingress, so I had to lower my head a little less when getting out. Great, since i never use a sunroof anyway (had it in my last 12 cars, and other than the first car with it, I've basically NEVER used it), and I'll save the money...

But wait, there's more! I sat in the back seat, and on the model WITHOUT sunroof, I had NO chance of sitting even close to upright - the headroom back there is non-existent. I was sitting on the outer edge of the seat just to keep my head from hitting it. If anyone is 6' tall, they cannot fit back there, I'm quite sure. Then I hopped into the model WITH the sunroof, and I could sit in there, albeit it not comfortably (nor can I in my wife's Lexus ES300h, so I'm accustomed to being shorted a LITTLE bit on headroom in the back seat - fortunately tall people usually get to sit in front).

Herein lies my quandary...

WITH sunroof - slight disadvantage to me, the driver, in headroom, huge advantage to any backseat passengers
WITHOUT sunroof - advantage to me, the driver, absolutely epic disadvantage to anyone near 6' tall who might sit in back, ever.

(we have two kids, 9 yo boy and 12 yo girl, so I expect neither will be 6' tall in the next 3 years)

Any assistance would be appreciated. I'm completely torn.

WITH sunroof - slight disadvantage to me, the driver, in headroom, huge advantage to any backseat passengers
WITHOUT sunroof - advantage to me, the driver, absolutely epic disadvantage to anyone near 6' tall who might sit in back, ever.

Since I think most agree a sunroof buys the driver front headroom, I wonder if you tried a textile or next gen seat versus the plain leather seat, or if it wasn't all the way down? I'm less convinced the next gen seats are higher, but have had DSs confirm the textile seats are.
FWIW, I'm 6', 33" inseam, and have no problem in back (side, or center) without a sunroof. If you want 'epic', try getting in back of a MB CLA.

Since I think most agree a sunroof buys the driver front headroom, I wonder if you tried a textile or next gen seat versus the plain leather seat, or if it wasn't all the way down? I'm less convinced the next gen seats are higher, but have had DSs confirm the textile seats are.
FWIW, I'm 6', 33" inseam, and have no problem in back (side, or center) without a sunroof. If you want 'epic', try getting in back of a MB CLA.
Good question - I should have clarified. The two models (with and without sunroof) were BOTH Generation II seats, with leather.

I'm 2 inches taller, and 1 inch shorter on inseam (32"), and I can't sit in the back seat of one without sunroof whatsoever - my head is literally sideways to fit in.

I'm on the tall side too, 6'1", and I chose the sunroof. I sat in both cars, and the physical height difference didn't affect me; but the "open feeling" of the inside of the car with the sunroof is what sold me (and like you, I probably haven't open my sunroof in 10 years...).

I'm on the tall side too, 6'1", and I chose the sunroof. I sat in both cars, and the physical height difference didn't affect me; but the "open feeling" of the inside of the car with the sunroof is what sold me (and like you, I probably haven't open my sunroof in 10 years...).
Not that it will factor in my decision, but it does seem a bit of a ripoff if you get the premium interior with alcantara liner and the sunroof, as you get a fraction of the fabric you are paying for! :cool:

Not that it will factor in my decision, but it does seem a bit of a ripoff if you get the premium interior with alcantara liner and the sunroof, as you get a fraction of the fabric you are paying for! :cool:

White alcantra is now included in the base price. There is no "regular" headliner anymore (as of today? yesterday?)

I didn't care for the alcantra, but they bundled it with the power lift gate, which was a must have for me, so I got it for "free".

Good question - I should have clarified. The two models (with and without sunroof) were BOTH Generation II seats, with leather.

I'm 2 inches taller, and 1 inch shorter on inseam (32"), and I can't sit in the back seat of one without sunroof whatsoever - my head is literally sideways to fit in.

I am 6' 2"" with a 32" inseam - I have the pano roof and have no issues as a driver. I Do not have next generation seats. I do have the seats all the way down. It makes the back seat usable. Agree that there is not a ton of headroom. Both my boys can drive the Telsa and they are 6"3' and 6"8', might be they just make it work!

I don't have any height recommendations (6'2", 34 inseam) but I will comment the Model S is just a little difficult to get in and out of. Not that I'm complaining.

Now for my recommendation: the sunroof is absolutely fabulous in terms of letting light in but not too much, and hardly letting any heat in no matter how hard the sun is beating down. Add the option of opening it up... heaven!

From reading previous posts it's more the seats that are the problem. I test drove a 70D a few weeks ago with the next gen seats, and wow do they ever cocoon you; they felt great. I have the first gen seats and have been on plenty of road trips and I think they're very comfortable. So I don't envy your decision. Good luck!

I'm 6'2" and I ordered without the pano roof because like most cars I assumed it would give me more headroom. Had the roof in several cars and never used it so I wasn't too worried. However my OA tells me that the pano roof provides more headroom in the MS, and now with black alcantara roof I'm kind of wondering if I made a mistake by not getting the pano roof.

I can let you know later this week when I take delivery.

FWIW: I'm 6'5" tall and have a Model S with the solid roof. Headroom in the driver's seat is adequate, though I'd prefer to have more. I agree with your comment regarding sitting in the back seat, but as I don't generally do that I don't find it a problem. :) I know that many have stated that there is more head room for back seat passengers with the pano roof, but from what I recall in the showroom, it was a matter of more headroom in a certain spot, but a much bigger chance of thwacking your head on the bar at the back of the pano roof, especially when the driver decides to enjoy Tesla's Instant Torque feature.

I've had 6' 5" folks in the driver's seat and they had zero headroom problems with the pano. They were impressed that they could actually sit and have some clearance. I'd suggest that the seat wasn't adjusted correctly if you had difficulty. (it could have been at the highest position).

My recommendation, get the pano you won't regret it.

Pros,
1. Pano looks nicer (subjective, but most will agree)
2. Pano adds headroom
3. Pano is great fo rear passengers (headroom and view)
4. Pano blocks most of the heat, I love having the sunroof open in the evenings or night on a non-freeway road
5. Tesla's paint is soft, and pano means less surface area to wax.
6. A place to stick the coat hanger
7. Roof Rack + XM require pano
8. A better view when driving through downtown or nature

Cons,
1. Pano will mean 18% heatloss, some people feel it matters in winters, some people don't even notice it.
2. Pano probably means slightly more weight
3. Another moving part that could break
4. Costs $1500 more

I have not met anyone who got the pano and said "Man I hate it, I wish I had never gotten the pano"
I have heard the reverse though.

I went through this back and forth myself, it is $1500 extra afterall.
But given the pros, plus, for the next 8-10 years, I will be looking at this hot beautiful thing and thinking "damn she is hot!", y'know get the pano. I did.

And that $1500 - you'l recoup part of it at resale.

I am 6'1" now - was 6'3"" at one time with 33" in seam. For the first time I have plenty of head room with Pano roof. This roof also is much more appealing to the eye than a roof with out the pano. The resale value is worth the cost of purchase. Kuttakamina summarized differences very well.
The roof was one of features that sold me on the car besides the all electric engine. The car looks so much better with the pano roof.