Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Connecticut OK's Tesla Sales

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On a related note, CT will also offer $3000 incentive to purchasers of EVs.
http://www.courant.com/business/hc-connecticut-rebate-electric-cars-0520-20150519-story.html

Unfortunately it does not apply to MS or MX since it must be sold in CT (when this legislation becomes law that will be remedied), and the car has to be less than $60k.
Laws like this are poorly crafted. The "cliff edge" incentive in the CT bill creates distortionary incentives to get the price just below $60,000. Why does the government have an interest in giving $3,000 to someone buying a car for $59,999, but nothing if it costs $60,000? The answer, of course, is it's simple and populist.

A slightly more complex but better formula would be that the full $3,000 is available up to, say, $50,000. Then reduce the subsidy by $0.20 for each $1 by which the price exceeds $50,000. (This formula drives the subsidy to $0 at $65,000.)

BTW, there is a Founder's Model X in the Milford, CT SC getting ready for delivery... You can see it from afar.
Not as tall or large as I had envisioned it.
The article I linked has a slide show available at the top. Surprised that the photographer didn't get a shot of that X! Found a video link to the same press conference. Tesla renews push to sell cars in CT | News 12 Connecticut The Nissan dealer being interviewed sounds like he's been well prepared by NADA or perhaps a fresh screening of "Merchants of Doubt".

I was at the Milford Service Center having my seatbelt checked. We saw the Model X and got to walk over near it. We were not allowed closer than about 10 ft and told no pictures. The tech was working on getting it ready for delivery but demo'd how the falcon-winged doors operate. Faster than I expected. Looked great.

They are holding a public hearing on March 2nd (tomorrow) at 10:30 a.m.
Anyone available to attend?
"Tesla Supporters and Enthusiasts:

On March 2nd at 10:30AM at the Legislative Office Building in Hartford, the Transportation Committee is holding a public hearing on a bill that will allow Tesla to sell its cars in Connecticut.

This is a step in the right direction. And while we've been fortunate to gain the support of Senate Majority Leader Bob Duff and Transportation Committee House Chair Tony Guerrera, we need your help to show the Committee and legislature that opening the doors to investment by Tesla is good for Connecticut.

We invite you to get involved, and let legislators in Hartford know how you feel by appearing at the hearing or submitting written comments to the Transportation Committee members who will participate in the hearing. You can find their contact details at www.cga.ct.gov/tra. You can also contact your local Senator or Representative to let them know you support Tesla and its desire to invest in Connecticut with direct sales of clean, zero emission electric vehicles. As with all communications to legislators, please be polite and respectful.

And if you want to stay updated with our progress, visit www.TeslaCT.com "

Thanks in advance for your support!

Legislative Office Building
300 Capitol Avenue
Room 2E
Hartford, CT 06106"

I listened to the first 4 hours of testimony on the CT bill. No idea how much longer it went on, or what the eventual outcome will be.
Same debate. CARA is afraid of losing market share, insists bill gives an unfair advantage to Tesla. They claim they want a level playing field.
IMO, Tesla did a fantastic job. Milford's Alan Woolmer talked about how ICE dealers saw service as a profit center, and how franchise dealers pay mechanics (commission) vs. Tesla's business model.
The debate went to irrelevant, though interesting, topics (considering they acknowledged Tesla can do business in CT, but just must be a franchise): Jim Chen was asked questions about home charging installation costs. Other questions included anxiety range, Tesla stock fluctuation, recalls, Takata air bags, Model 3 anticipated deposits, and even a mention of DeLorean's fate. And of course, CARA had 4 of their EV offerings outside for display & test drives (link to video: courant.com/tesla0302).
If there is another hearing, I'll mark off the whole day and definitely attend!