Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

70D delivery delayed..(Intially requested August delivery)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have an order in for a 70D with a requested delivery date of early august since that is when my current lease runs out. Yesterday I logged onto my Tesla page which I do daily (not sure why :smile: since it feels like waiting for a kettle to boil) and my delivery date updated to late August.

This is pretty upsetting. There's no reason for this as the design studio still offers late June as the earliest delivery month so early August or late July should not be an issue.

I called and was told that it most likely changed because it takes time to transport a finished car from CA to NY which is a ridiculous excuse. Was also told that they don't want to rush assembly for the fear of manufacturing issues. I wasn't asking anyone to rush it. The are promising to deliver cars ordered today in june/july. I am asking for it to be delivered in august.

Any thoughts on the subject would be appreciated. I am curious if anyone managed to change their delivery date to an earlier one after confirming the order.

Last edited:
Even so, I can pick late june as a delivery date for a 70D in the design studio right now. What reason could there be not to be able to manufacture one by early august? Just make it in june and ship it in late july so it gets here in early august.

I don't think they really have a place in the factory to keep completed cars sitting around. Once production is complete, it gets shipped almost immediately. They're also not going to want to keep a car in inventory for 2 months. The only place I think it can reasonably sit around for a couple of weeks is at the delivery location.

I have an order in for a 70D with a requested delivery date of early august since that is when my current lease runs out. Yesterday I logged onto my Tesla page which I do daily (not sure why :smile: since it feels like waiting for a kettle to boil) and my delivery date updated to late August.

This is pretty upsetting. There's no reason for this as the design studio still offers late June as the earliest delivery month so early August or late July should not be an issue.

I called and was told that it most likely changed because it takes time to transport a finished car from CA to NY which is a ridiculous excuse. Was also told that they don't want to rush assembly for the fear of manufacturing issues. I wasn't asking anyone to rush it. The are promising to deliver cars ordered today in june/july. I am asking for it to be delivered in august.

Any thoughts on the subject would be appreciated. I am curious if anyone managed to change their delivery date to an earlier one after confirming the order.

I'd say give it some time as it may fluctuate forward a bit still or could go the other way (hate to say that). Tesla doesn't have the luxury that other carmakers have to just product as fast as possible, they have to literally wait to see what orders they get just 4-6+ weeks ahead, then bring in inventory, and plan a dynamic factory. So they bunch cars together based on model, do days of 85D, the 70D, etc... they bunch based on paint colors as well... also bunch based on how they can most efficiently fill up trains/trucks for delivery, and somewhat by options as well. It's pretty tough planning I imagine. That is why VINs actually get production start/ends way out of order sometimes. It can be frustrating during the wait though so understand... ;-)

I'd say give it some time as it may fluctuate forward a bit still or could go the other way (hate to say that). Tesla doesn't have the luxury that other carmakers have to just product as fast as possible, they have to literally wait to see what orders they get just 4-6+ weeks ahead, then bring in inventory, and plan a dynamic factory. So they bunch cars together based on model, do days of 85D, the 70D, etc... they bunch based on paint colors as well... also bunch based on how they can most efficiently fill up trains/trucks for delivery, and somewhat by options as well. It's pretty tough planning I imagine. That is why VINs actually get production start/ends way out of order sometimes. It can be frustrating during the wait though so understand... ;-)

Just spoke with my rep and moved the production date to July :). As long as they can keep to the schedule, it works for me.

I heard that because WA State's Sales Tax exemption is expiring June 30, 2015, there has been a jump in Tesla purchases to take advantage of this. As a result, the Tesla Factory has had to re-arrange production schedules for cars in other States in order to accommodate and get WA State purchased cars produced and delivered in time. I'm not sure if this if fact, but this is what they told me, because I just bought my Tesla model S 70D a few days ago and was assured that I should get it by the end of June.

Hope this helps to give you more info regarding why the discrepancy in delivery dates.

I'm watching this thread closely as I ordered mine today and selected August so I will have it for our National Drive Electric Week event on September 12th. I will not be happy if it slips into late September and I don't have it for this event!

I'm watching this thread closely as I ordered mine today and selected August so I will have it for our National Drive Electric Week event on September 12th. I will not be happy if it slips into late September and I don't have it for this event!

Knowing what I know now I'd order with a delivery date 1 month in advance to give you enough cushion if the delivery is delayed. As I said my early August changed to late August and then to early June. I am not going to be changing anything just in case. I am guessing that the actual delivery will shift to July.

I think it is because "July gets interesting" at the factory. I have a suspicion that says they shut down for a week or two for Model X factory finalization and start some mixing of Model X into the production line and July production is kind of "iffy" so your August delivery may have been pushed back due to something like that happening pre-ModelX. Now, if they build it in June - fine, just don't take delivery until you are ready for it. it is your order, your car, you are the customer. If you chose July, then at least they can hold it for you until you are ready. Of course, they may come wanting payment in June if they build it in June and that is what you need to try to avoid.