Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

buying a pre-owned Tesla...need feedback

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi folks,

I'm purchasing a pre-owned 2013 Tesla Model S 60, it's going for $71K CAD.

Includes options:
- Tech package
- Service options have been prepaid
- Prepaid annual service plan till 2021
- Extended warranty until 2021
- 3G till 2018

It's got 41K km. The only thing missing that I would need installed after is the dual chargers so I can use the super chargers, I think it costs around $2,500. Aside from that, it has everything that I would want. Is this a good deal for the car? This will be my first Tesla so I would appreciate any feedback.

Thanks.

Just an FYI - you don't need to purchase the dual chargers to use the Superchargers, since Supercharging bypasses the onboard charger. I would still recommend the dual chargers however, as this will allow you to take advantage of the faster charging speeds at most Sun Country Highway chargers around the Country.

Hi folks,

Includes options:
- Tech package
- 3G till 2018

It's got 41K km. The only thing missing that I would need installed after is the dual chargers so I can use the super chargers, I think it costs around $2,500. Aside from that, it has everything that I would want. Is this a good deal for the car? This will be my first Tesla so I would appreciate any feedback.

Thanks.
Purchase the supercharger option from shop.teslamotors.com, not from the service centre because you won't have to pay taxes as a Canadian buyer.

Hi folks,

Includes options:
- Tech package
- 3G till 2018

Thanks.

Honestly, it seems steep. You can get a brand new 70D with supercharging & the now standard tech package for around 78, after the Ontario government credit.

Thanks. What do you guys think is the right price for the car? Your feedback is much appreciated.

Way less. $60K even.
The private sale has only two years left on it's existing warranty.

Here is a CPO used Tesla available last night with fresh 4 year warranty (http://www.teslamotors.com/sites/default/files/model-s-preowned-warranty.pdf).

60 kWh Model S P17537 | Tesla Motors Canada

60 kWh Model S
28,031 km
P17537
$67,300
Silver Metallic Paint
Panoramic Roof
21" Silver Turbine Wheels
Black Leather Interior
Lacewood Décor
Supercharger Enabled
Ultra High Fidelity Sound

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and if you were willing to go $71K, why not spend a few $K more and get a P85?!

http://www.teslamotors.com//en_CA/models/preowned/p08819

85 kWh Performance Model S
28,857 km
P08819

$76,400

Thanks. What do you guys think is the right price for the car? Your feedback is much appreciated.

Thanks.

I can only speak for myself. But given that a brand new 2015 with more range, better made, AWD, more gizmos, supercharger access, and the possibility of adding autopilot for 2.8k is available for 78K, I personally wouldn't even consider paying more than 50.

I suspect that you'll offend the seller by offering this. But the reality is that Teslas have taken a LOT of depreciation because of the very rapid improvement of newer models. Some sellers need to sit for a while with the car on the market before coming to realize what something is really worth.

As an owner, I am not happy about the HUGE depreciation!

Yes, $50k is offensive! Also, keep in mind that a $5k is still a lot of money and to many people it's stretching it, so buying used is their only way to get a Tesla in many cases for sure! Also keep in mind that many banks don't care about the rebate, they still look at the loan you're getting if you are financing the car.

Way less. $60K even.

Here is a CPO used Tesla available last night with fresh 4 year warranty (http://www.teslamotors.com/sites/default/files/model-s-preowned-warranty.pdf).

60 kWh Model S
28,031 km
P17537
$67,300
Silver Metallic Paint
Panoramic Roof
Black Leather Interior
Lacewood Décor
Supercharger Enabled

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and if you were willing to go $71K, why not spend a few $K more and get a P85?!

85 kWh Performance Model S P08819 | Tesla Motors Canada

28,857 km
P08819

$76,400

wow thanks for that. I'm gonna see if the seller is willing to go lower. Also, how does the P60 drive in the Canadian winter? Since it's RWD, will it slip a lot in icy conditions? Is the AWD worth the upgrade?

Thanks.

Thanks.

If you could afford $10k more, a brand-new from the Design Studio 2015 Model S 70D with Auto-Pilot + SubZero Package = $94,150 (If you live in Ontario you are eligible for a $10,000 Rebate, effectively making your purchase $84,150)

IMHO The benefits of stretching your money a little bit further FAR outweigh 'negatives' of buying an 'old' Model S. Not that there's anything terrible about an older model, it's just that recently Tesla changed their entire Fleet design/option's. I consider the new All-Wheel Drive edition's to be better suited for Canadian Climate, and not having the SubZero Package might make for cold winters.

I'm not an owner as of yet, but I'm going to be! And if you can't afford the jump to a new S, any S is a MASSIVE improvement from any ICE (Internal Combustion Engine).

$74k seems a bit steep for a 2013 60 w/ Tech (41,000 Km), keep in mind that Range is reduced in sub-zero temperatures (Trip Planning get's a little bit 'tighter' when your Range is reduced).

There are a LOT of Model S out there for sale, personally, if I couldn't afford new and had to buy used, I'd buy it off the Tesla Motor's CPO website; http://www.teslamotors.com/en_CA/models/preowned

- - - Updated - - -

Way less. $60K even.

60 kWh Model S
28,031 km
P17537
$67,300
Silver Metallic Paint
Panoramic Roof
Black Leather Interior
Lacewood Décor
Supercharger Enabled

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.teslamotors.com//en_CA/models/preowned/p08819

28,857 km
P08819

$76,400

^--- :biggrin:

Here we go again. If a buyer was able to afford $10k more, he/she would've gone with a new car without asking about a used one here. You guys are discouraging buyers from buying a Tesla just because they can't afford a new one.

I haven't seen such an attitude on a BMW or a Mercedes forum.

Look at used cars on Kijiji, would you go for a 2013 Audi Q7 with 50,000km for $55k or a Tesla S 60 for $50k as suggested above? For me, it's a no brainer, and it's not like a Tesla is not worth the price if it was offered for $65k! The same applies to any "classic" Tesla, not just the 60.

Last edited:
As an owner, I am not happy about the HUGE depreciation!

Yes, $50k is offensive! Also, keep in mind that a $5k is still a lot of money and to many people it's stretching it, so buying used is their only way to get a Tesla in many cases for sure! Also keep in mind that many banks don't care about the rebate, they still look at the loan you're getting if you are financing the car.

Nobody is ever happy about depreciation. But it's life. At then end of the day something is worth what somebody is willing to pay for it.

I believe that all Tesla owners are being or are going to be creamed by high depreciation, simply because the cars are changing & improving so fast. That includes mine.

If I could get a brand new, 2015 zero mileage, sc enabled, tech package, AWD 70D for 78K with all of the new upgrades, then I would need a very substantial discount from that to consider a roughly two year old 2013 with 41K, RWD, smaller battery and without a bunch of the new toys..

A 35% discount seems perfectly reasonable to me. I'm sorry if you feel otherwise. I'm just calling it the way that I personally see it.

- - - Updated - - -

Here we go again. If a buyer was able to afford $10k more, he/she would've gone with a new car without asking about a used one here. You guys are discouraging buyers from buying a Tesla just because they can't afford a new one.

I haven't seen such an attitude on a BMW or a Mercedes forum.

Look at used cars on Kijiji, would you go for a 2013 Audi Q7 with 50,000km for $55k or a Tesla S 60 for $50k as suggested above? For me, it's a no brainer, and it's not like a Tesla is not worth the price if it was offered for $65k! The same applies to any "classic" Tesla, not just the 60.

I'm not discouraging anybody. The OP asked if the price was fair. Given the differences between current new and the used car in question, clearly a 7k difference in price is ridiculous; 5K if you consider that the 60 would need the additional $2000 SC enable.

A 5k difference is not reasonable. I personally think a 35% discount is fair and wouldn't consider paying more. But if the seller can find a buyer for 71K... or 250K for that matter, then more power to them.

Nobody is ever happy about depreciation. But it's life. At then end of the day something is worth what somebody is willing to pay for it.

I believe that all Tesla owners are being or are going to be creamed by high depreciation, simply because the cars are changing & improving so fast. That includes mine.

If I could get a brand new, 2015 zero mileage, sc enabled, tech package, AWD 70D for 78K with all of the new upgrades, then I would need a very substantial discount from that to consider a roughly two year old 2013 with 41K, RWD, smaller battery and without a bunch of the new toys..

A 35% discount seems perfectly reasonable to me. I'm sorry if you feel otherwise. I'm just calling it the way that I personally see it.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not discouraging anybody. The OP asked if the price was fair. Given the differences between current new and the used car in question, clearly a 7k difference in price is ridiculous; 5K if you consider that the 60 would need the additional $2000 SC enable.

A 5k difference is not reasonable. I personally think a 35% discount is fair and wouldn't consider paying more. But if the seller can find a buyer for 71K... or 250K for that matter, then more power to them.

Please don't get me wrong. I'm not saying that a stripped 2013 S60 with a few options worth $74k, but at the same time $50k is also not fair (in my opinion). The price should be somewhere in between. (we're talking about $24k difference here)

In my second reply I was referring to the fact that many people on this forum discourage prospective buyers from buying a used Tesla because many members make them look so bad compared to the new ones by saying they could add $10k to get this or add $15k to get that instead, as if used Tesla buyers are not stretching their finances already.

I know this might sound I'm taking it personally since I have an older Model S, but believe me I'm not. People who have met me at the Ottawa Auto show will tell you that I was praising new Teslas with autopilot and duel motors and how the new ones are made better if they heard some misleading reliability stories, etc.

Please don't get me wrong. I'm not saying that a stripped 2013 S60 with a few options worth $74k, but at the same time $50k is also not fair (in my opinion). The price should be somewhere in between. (we're talking about $24k difference here)

In my second reply I was referring to the fact that many people on this forum discourage prospective buyers from buying a used Tesla because many members make them look so bad compared to the new ones by saying they could add $10k to get this or add $15k to get that instead, as if used Tesla buyers are not stretching their finances already.

I know this might sound I'm taking it personally since I have an older Model S, but believe me I'm not. People who have met me at the Ottawa Auto show will tell you that I was praising new Teslas with autopilot and duel motors and how the new ones are made better if they heard some misleading reliability stories, etc.

I'll never discourage someone from buying used and in fact when I started looking at Teslas my original intent was to buy used. I almost never buy new cars simply because the depreciation on a 1-2 year old car is so much that new ones almost never make sense to me.

If I were to buy a used Tesla I'd likely go CPO. You'll probably pay 5-8K more than you would with a private sale but you get a fresh warranty and I'm betting that all of them have had a lot of work done to bring them up to snuff.

I posted on another thread about this but why is that P85 only $76k? Yes it has almost 29k on it, but seems out of line relative to the other CPO models. Makes me wonder if it was in an accident or something...

please correct me if I'm wrong BUT, the most BASE 70D with absolutely NOTHING added is $87,200 + the $1,300 destination fee, which comes to $88,500. The $8,500 tax credit is applied AFTER you've paid the provincial and federal sales tax, so it's not a NET $8,500 you're saving, it's closer to $7,000 to the net price.

That means $81,500, not $77K

Honestly, it seems steep. You can get a brand new 70D with supercharging & the now standard tech package for around 78, after the Ontario government credit.

please correct me if I'm wrong BUT, the most BASE 70D with absolutely NOTHING added is $87,200 + the $1,300 destination fee, which comes to $88,500. The $8,500 tax credit is applied AFTER you've paid the provincial and federal sales tax, so it's not a NET $8,500 you're saving, it's closer to $7,000 to the net price.

That means $81,500, not $77K
No, you're NOT wrong.