Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front suspension clunk over steep speed bump

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Olle

Jul 17, 2013
Orlando, FL
A few weeks ago, they built a sharp 4" tall speed bump outside my house. Never driven over such a bump before, but when I now do, I hear a loud clunk from the front suspension when driving about 10 mph, which seems like a normal speed. I have taken the bump in other cars (Mini and Audi A4) at 10 mph and no clunk.
Tesla service picked up my car and dropped off a loaner this Tuesday.

And sure enough, the loaner doesn't clunk at all when driven the same way over the bump. Both cars have air suspension but the loaner is a P85+ 4224x and mine is a regular P85 0124x
Service center called back and said nothing is wrong with my suspension and nothing can be done. They don't know exactly why my car clunks and the loaner doesn't.

Is it possible that standard air susp cars clunk and P85+ don't? Anybody else noticed this difference? I am not talking subtle clunks, but loud like and old car with a worn shock mount.

Do you hear the noises going over other bumps when moving slowly? I have had noises going over bumps too and it turned out to be broken sway bar links, repaired twice in the last 6 months. I have a 60 with air suspension.

No noise when driving real slow. It appears at 8 mph or more at this particular bump

- - - Updated - - -

I had the same problem. Turned out to be a broken tie rod. I suggest getting your car into Tesla service asap.

As I wrote, the car is already at the service center and they found nothing wrong with it. The loaner doesn't make the noise though

I've had two front suspension issues with my car:

-"Popping" with the steering at extreme handles, especially when in reverse. This turned out to be the steering rack mounting bolts slipping, and there are revised parts for this for my early 2013 car.

- Suspension travel "clunk" over some bumps/driveways, particularly at my house. This turned out to be an alignment and suspension adjustment. It was apparently evident at my house because I had the suspension auto-raise to "high", and that changes the geometry some.

Finally, there's a suspension TSB out that the service mgr thought was going to apply to my #2 issue above, but didn't. It might be something your car needs though.

I noticed the same thing and mentioned it during a service visit (might have been my "annual") a while back. I was also told there was nothing wrong.
How many miles since then, and has it gotten worse or stayed the same?

- - - Updated - - -

I've had two front suspension issues with my car:

-"Popping" with the steering at extreme handles, especially when in reverse. This turned out to be the steering rack mounting bolts slipping, and there are revised parts for this for my early 2013 car.

- Suspension travel "clunk" over some bumps/driveways, particularly at my house. This turned out to be an alignment and suspension adjustment. It was apparently evident at my house because I had the suspension auto-raise to "high", and that changes the geometry some.

Finally, there's a suspension TSB out that the service mgr thought was going to apply to my #2 issue above, but didn't. It might be something your car needs though.

Your #2 suspension travel is what I have too. The clunk occurs when front wheels have passed the top of the bump and the suspension stretches toward its maximum extension.

I have this too except it's the rear suspension. Rear of the car slams down hard after going over sharp speed bumps ~5 mph. It's quite loud too, but my air suspension is so out of whack as it is that I just assumed it's all tied to the same issue.

How many miles since then, and has it gotten worse or stayed the same?

It's the same, and to be fair, it happens rarely. I put on around 2,000 miles a month and that was at least 6 months ago. I described it to my Service Center as a clunk and a sensation like something is "loose" in the front suspension. As I say, they found no problem. I try to slow right down over speed bumps now.

It's the same, and to be fair, it happens rarely. I put on around 2,000 miles a month and that was at least 6 months ago. I described it to my Service Center as a clunk and a sensation like something is "loose" in the front suspension. As I say, they found no problem. I try to slow right down over speed bumps now.

It's not a big deal for me either and only happens at this particular bump. Strange though that the loaner doesn't make the noise.