Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is the Model X scheduled to be built before the "Bluestar"?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've heard of release dates for the Model X being in 2014 while I've read that the bluestar is scheduled to be released in 2016.

Is that right? And if so, why are they releasing the Model X before the Bluestar? Seems to me the Bluestar is going to be the car that changes the world. An affordable electric car that your average middle class person can buy.

Thanks in advance.

Is that right? And if so, why are they releasing the Model X before the Bluestar? Seems to me the Bluestar is going to be the car that changes the world. An affordable electric car that your average middle class person can buy.

Model X, I see it as mostly speculative talk from Elon. However, if you looked at Tesla's IPO plan, they plan to have multiple cars built on the Model S platform; there was a diagram showing a convertible, a van, and an SUV (Model X in this case). It probably makes more business sense to expand on that platform first than to move to a smaller one so soon (Bluestar will likely be smaller).

As for the Bluestar, haven't seen too much public info on that lately. It seems like Nissan has already beaten Tesla to the market with an affordable EV (something I'm not sure anyone expected). If you look at interviews asking Elon about what he thinks about competitors, he says that his goal was to get EVs out there; if automakers weren't going to do it, he was going to do it himself. Now that it looks like automakers are doing so, he has accomplished part of his goal.

Tesla does have the NUMMI facility, so I guess they do have a place to build Bluestar if they can work out the supply chain. However, it seems more likely Tesla will be releasing components for a third party's $30k EV than for their own (it's still going to be hard to compete with the larger automakers in terms of volume).

Last edited:
However, it seems more likely Tesla will be releasing components for a third party's $30k EV than for their own (it's still going to be hard to compete with the larger automakers in terms of volume).

I think Tesla can compete and beat the larger automakers if they tried.

1. The Leaf is one of the ugliest cars I have seen in a long time.
2. The range on the leaf is laughable. If Tesla put out a smaller car they'd be starting with 160 mile range minimum.
3.None of the other EVs have the power or performance that Tesla has.

I doubt that Tesla is going to be content playing second fiddle to the other automakers. They have a responsibility to their shareholders to be the most profitable company they can be and I think means capturing part of the lower/mid priced EVs.

I think Tesla can compete and beat the larger automakers if they tried.

2. The range on the leaf is laughable. If Tesla put out a smaller car they'd be starting with 160 mile range minimum.
3.None of the other EVs have the power or performance that Tesla has.

I doubt that Tesla is going to be content playing second fiddle to the other automakers. They have a responsibility to their shareholders to be the most profitable company they can be and I think means capturing part of the lower/mid priced EVs.

I totally agree. I do not see any indication that Tesla has changed its plans. They still have to bring the Model S to market first. Perhaps someone like Nissan will compete with Tesla on performance and range in 5yrs when Bluestar comes out but they have a bit of catching up to do and Tesla will not be sitting still either.

That's what they said about the prius. And it's true.

Careful. That's exactly what they said about the sub 70 mile range of the $50,000 ($500/month lease) EV1.

I've ridden in both the leaf and the model S. The S is an amazing car, but the leaf is not bad for half the price. It will sell and give Nissan a significant head start on the low cost EV market. In 2014 the patents expire on large format NiMH batteries. This will allow EV manufacturers to build lower cost(albeit slower, heavier) cars.

I agree with stopcrazypp on both counts. Once Tesla is able to deliver the Model S, they will work on shipping the other vehicles based on the Model S platform.

In recent years, Tesla has said that Bluestar would be done in conjunction with another automaker in order to get an appreciable volume. It didn't seem like they expected to build it themselves beyond perhaps the drivetrain. So development on that could be concurrent regardless of the actual delivery date. Might have more to do with finalizing an agreement.

But the idea of Bluestar has already been beaten to the punch by Nissan. Whether you think it's ugly or not, the Leaf (given it's price for what it delivers) really is a game changer and forces other companies to re-evaluate their strategies.

Last edited:
I believe that achieve the cost structure needed to get "bluestar" into the price range needed, it will have to be a current platform vehicle modified into a Tesla.... If you look at the market of vehicles that currently could be easily adapted you are left with a short list...

This comment only applies if "bluestar" is to come into existence "soon" if we are talking 2016 then this is a moot point and may be able to be produced by tesla for tesla at NUMMI

In an informal interview posted on YouTube, Elon said that Tesla is going to have to be able to work on more than one project at a time. (Sorry, I can't find the link). In context, he was stating that Tesla Motors would be profitable if it was based purely on its Roadster and drivetrain sales. He mentioned that much of Tesla's current focus is on the Model S. He stated that after Model S, Tesla would be working on several projects simultaneously. (I am paraphrasing).

In conclusion: Elon states that Model X and BlueStar will be worked on simultaneously. He made no comment as to what whould be worked on or which would be done first. Sorry, I know we are supposed to post links. I am referring to the interview that was done by someone holding an amateur video camera in the Tesla lot. The interviewer issued questions from behind his camera. The camera was pointed at Elon at a range of 3 feet, just next to the previous Model S prototype. Hope that helps.

Thanks TEG. That is the one. You are a one person google!

Addendum: I reviewed the video. At approx 1:40 is when he predicts that Model X will be available 2 years after the Model S becomes available. The interviewer asks, "Does that mean that the economy car [bluestar] might be pushed out then...?" That was when Elon referred to Tesla's need to be able to do more than one thing at a time, but I guess I forgot that he did estimate 4-5 years on the bluestar. So, my memory sux and all of you who were able to find your sources are all correct. I stand corrected. Accept my appology.

Last edited:

Would really like to encourage folks to include a relevant quote or at least a comment on what is beyond links.

Tesla CEO: Model X SUV to Be Unveiled in 2011, $30K Car in 4 Years

Palm Springs, California — Even though Tesla’s second electric vehicle the Model S is still about two years away from the market, Tesla CEO Elon Musk laid out the company’s road map for two more new electric cars at the Cleantech Investor Summit in Palm Springs, California on Wednesday. Tesla will unveil the Model X SUV, which will be “cooler” than any SUV or minivan on the market, later this year, said Musk, and in about four years will have developed a truly “mainstream” car that will cost $30,000.

In an informal interview posted on YouTube, Elon said that Tesla is going to have to be able to work on more than one project at a time. (Sorry, I can't find the link). In context, he was stating that Tesla Motors would be profitable if it was based purely on its Roadster and drivetrain sales. He mentioned that much of Tesla's current focus is on the Model S. He stated that after Model S, Tesla would be working on several projects simultaneously. (I am paraphrasing).

In conclusion: Elon states that Model X and BlueStar will be worked on simultaneously. He made no comment as to what whould be worked on or which would be done first. Sorry, I know we are supposed to post links. I am referring to the interview that was done by someone holding an amateur video camera in the Tesla lot. The interviewer issued questions from behind his camera. The camera was pointed at Elon at a range of 3 feet, just next to the previous Model S prototype. Hope that helps.

In this video, apparently from late 2010 (November or before):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hC6LMe3nQs&NR=1

Elon seems to say that the next model after Model S will be a SUV variant of the Model S platform. As far as I understood, its design will be announced 2011. Not sure what this means for a production date. Regarding Bluestar, he expects the production of the third-gen platform (more affordable, with a smaller wheelbase) to start in 2014 or 2015.

Elon Musk in the past has mentioned a Model X SUV due sometime in 2014 and he's just re-confirmed that we'll be getting our first glimpse of the thing sometime this year. Few further details are known but we wouldn't be surprised if it shared some components with the Tesla-powered Toyota RAV4 EV. Musk also took the opportunity to re-confirm that a genuinely affordable electric Tesla is coming by 2015, something priced under $30,000 and, while probably not quite as bodacious as either the Roadster or the Model S, hopefully it'll be a bit more invigorating than the Leaf.
http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/21/tesla-confirms-plans-to-unveil-electric-model-x-suv-this-year/