Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery process for Canada?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'll be taking delivery early next month and am wondering what the process is for Canada? What did you guys have to do before you drove away?
i couldn't stand to wait for delivery so took what seemed to be a 17-hour ferry ride between Vic and Van and picked the car up. So I don't know if #2 and #5 work on a delivery basis. Also I think you may have to pay for the car before it's put on the truck. Here is my pickup process, in case you want to compare:

1. Pay; suffer the surreal feeling of 4x what you've ever paid before for a "car"
2. Complete paperwork with broker on trade-in (not Tesla employee, but completed the transaction at Powell St)
3. Complete Tesla paperwork including insurance papers
4. Occasionally see rest of family having fun going through car while I'm stuck with a pen
5. Decide on accessories (tire pump, winter mats, etc)
6. Get Tesla staff to install front plate (YIKES a drill!!! Almost makes me want to become a rebel)
7. Review car features with DS (brief for me as I had watched the online YouTube tutorials)
8. Picture ceremony
9. Drive away, in the rain

Somehow we were there a good 3-4 hours. And not painful at all. More than an hour was spent with the broker dealing with the car that was going, including transferring insurance. A "normal" 3-4 hour experience at a dealer is quite painful. This was all fun, excitement, and friendly cameraderie. Deciding on accessories is the owner figuring out what they want; no pressure sales or anything like that. Tesla staff are there to answer questions.

Congratulations on your purchase!!! What colour??

i couldn't stand to wait for delivery so took what seemed to be a 17-hour ferry ride between Vic and Van and picked the car up. So I don't know if #2 and #5 work on a delivery basis. Also I think you may have to pay for the car before it's put on the truck. Here is my pickup process, in case you want to compare:

1. Pay; suffer the surreal feeling of 4x what you've ever paid before for a "car"
2. Complete paperwork with broker on trade-in (not Tesla employee, but completed the transaction at Powell St)
3. Complete Tesla paperwork including insurance papers
4. Occasionally see rest of family having fun going through car while I'm stuck with a pen
5. Decide on accessories (tire pump, winter mats, etc)
6. Get Tesla staff to install front plate (YIKES a drill!!! Almost makes me want to become a rebel)
7. Review car features with DS (brief for me as I had watched the online YouTube tutorials)
8. Picture ceremony
9. Drive away, in the rain

Somehow we were there a good 3-4 hours. And not painful at all. More than an hour was spent with the broker dealing with the car that was going, including transferring insurance. A "normal" 3-4 hour experience at a dealer is quite painful. This was all fun, excitement, and friendly cameraderie. Deciding on accessories is the owner figuring out what they want; no pressure sales or anything like that. Tesla staff are there to answer questions.

Congratulations on your purchase!!! What colour??

How do you pay for something that big?? Lawyers handle it when you buy houses but this? I have no idea...

I said delivery but I am indeed going to the service centre next month. The car is currently on its way and will probably be ready for pickup before I am! I'm probably going to forego the front licence plate for now and get a drillless one.

Think they'll route my dashcam's cable if I ask?

I wanted green but since that became impossible I'm going with the discontinued blue colour.

I'll have to give you a ride so you can compare the differences between yours and a D.

How do you pay for something that big?? Lawyers handle it when you buy houses but this? I have no idea....

I had the car delivered. That meant I had to send Tesla the money in advance. I did a bank draft/money order (can't recall which), but the teller AND manager at my bank double, triple, quadruple checked all the details, as they don't see many such transactions of that size (to an unknown-to-them company such as Tesla), but do see quite a bit of fraud. In the end, it was straight forward.

I will also add my recommendation to get a full xpel/similar paint protection wrap immediately upon delivery. I did not, and boy do I regret it. Various rock chips (big and small) all over the front of the car and hood, and just saw a fairly large gash from a rock on the lower side of the passenger door. I now know what people meant when they said the paint is soft... it does not take much to damage it.

I had the car delivered. That meant I had to send Tesla the money in advance. I did a bank draft/money order (can't recall which), but the teller AND manager at my bank double, triple, quadruple checked all the details, as they don't see many such transactions of that size (to an unknown-to-them company such as Tesla), but do see quite a bit of fraud. In the end, it was straight forward.
Reminds me of a friend who bought 4 weeks at a Hawaii timeshare in the early eighties... (lest anyone gets the wrong idea, they were extremely happy with that purchase through the years, too)

I will also add my recommendation to get a full xpel/similar paint protection wrap immediately upon delivery. I did not, and boy do I regret it. Various rock chips (big and small) all over the front of the car and hood, and just saw a fairly large gash from a rock on the lower side of the passenger door. I now know what people meant when they said the paint is soft... it does not take much to damage it.
Well... I could barely scrape together enough for the car itself; wrap was out of the question. But every wash, I'm seeing the several tiny chips... Aarrggh. On the other hand, in the last 3 weeks random people have mentioned "your brand-new car", so it still cleans up good!

I'll be taking delivery early next month and am wondering what the process is for Canada? What did you guys have to do before you drove away?

I went to the Vancouver service centre, inspected the car, then
- signed a purchase agreement
- signed a cheque
- bought insurance

The thing that amazed me is that they took a personal cheque. I guess they can easily track down the car if necessary. :)

I actually got a bank draft prepared for the lion's share of the estimated cost the day before I went to Vancouver to pick up the car. I've already mentioned above the overall pickup process. What I left out was, when I gave the bank draft over to pay for the car, I mistakenly gave the "receipt" or "copy" part instead of the "negotiable instrument" part. But I didn't know it. I put the "real" draft back in my wallet and forgot about it.

Three days later I get a call from Tesla asking whether I still had the "cheque". I'm trying to figure out what they mean, since I had also written a manual cheque for a few hundred dollars left over between the bank draft amount and the final total price of the car. Of course I don't have the cheque, I handed it over as part of the payment. Just struggling through trying to guess what cheque they mean when 30 seconds later it hit me. I dug in my wallet, and there was the draft, not the receipt for the draft. The relief on the other end of the phone was quite palpable. I never did realize that I technically purchased a brand new Model S for like, several hundred dollars, until just now! :)

Anyway, there happened to be a couple of rangers in Victoria and they dropped by that evening to pick up the real McCoy. All's well that ends well!