Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ahhhh Please help with color option

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I looked at a deep blue metallic 85D today....Love the color! Kind of between the bright red and the dark black.

I am going to get the upgraded seats and the premium interior. I can not decide between black or tan for the interior.

Anyone have pictures of the interior with tan seats? The one I saw today had the black seats.

Thanks!!

Mike

Sorry in advance for making your decision even harder... I have the older dark blue with gray interior and love it. I originally wanted blue with tan, but after seeing the blue/gray together, I feel that the gray really compliments the blue and gives the car a very sophisticated look. I get a lot of compliments on the color combination. I am sure that it would look even better with the deep blue metallic that you are considering.

I have a 1993 Nissan 300ZX twin turbo with black leather and while it looks nice, it is always very hot in the summer. The leather has tended to harden over time, even with a few leather treatments applied. I don't know if it is the type of leather or if the heat helped accelerate the hardening. Tesla probably uses low-e glass, so it may not be an issue. Maybe someone with black leather will chime in on this...???

My vote is for blue with gray, then tan, then black.

The new blue is very cool, and there are not many of them on the road. I'd do a black interior with it.

That said, I have pearl white and love it. After 36K miles, it still looks new. Surface scratches from washing and general use show up more on darker colors. You can minimize this problem, however, by having a CQuartz glaze applied to the paint. Many auto detailers can do it.

I would go with tan or grey and black alcantara headliner. Lighter seats won't be as hot in the summer. I want from tan leather in a Saab 9-3 Convertible to black in a Chevy Volt, and while black doesn't show seat wear as much, I am NOT doing black again - too hot here in the south.

Last edited:
I'm ordering that car in 2 days for my birthday! I'm going with tan interior. I think the tan looks killer with the black alcantara headliner too! If you are getting the pano roof (I am) then I think the black seats would NOT be a good idea. Just IMHO - in FL anyway!

Sorry in advance for making your decision even harder... I have the older dark blue with gray interior and love it. I originally wanted blue with tan, but after seeing the blue/gray together, I feel that the gray really compliments the blue and gives the car a very sophisticated look. I get a lot of compliments on the color combination. I am sure that it would look even better with the deep blue metallic that you are considering.

I have a 1993 Nissan 300ZX twin turbo with black leather and while it looks nice, it is always very hot in the summer. The leather has tended to harden over time, even with a few leather treatments applied. I don't know if it is the type of leather or if the heat helped accelerate the hardening. Tesla probably uses low-e glass, so it may not be an issue. Maybe someone with black leather will chime in on this...???

My vote is for blue with gray, then tan, then black.

Thanks everyone for your input! You all are making my decision harder! lol
Shortmanz- do yo have any pics of your blue/grey combo?

Thanks!
Mike

I just picked up my multicoat red S85D yesterday. That color is fan-freaking-tastic. If you want to be eye catching, then I highly recommend it. I've seen it look bombshell lipstick red, magenta and even a deep deep orange (during sunset) based on the light, in less than 18 hours of ownership.

I looked at a deep blue metallic 85D today....Love the color! Kind of between the bright red and the dark black.

I am going to get the upgraded seats and the premium interior. I can not decide between black or tan for the interior.

Anyone have pictures of the interior with tan seats? The one I saw today had the black seats.

Thanks!!

Mike

I have seen the tan version and it would be my choice with either blue or red paint and black headliner in the case of a Pano roof. The detailer at Costa Mesa delivery center told me that tan seats can pick up color from blue jeans, but with regular cleaning it is not permanent. Tan also will show dirt more, so you have expect to clean them more often.

On the other hand, we have tan leather in our Lexus and after 4 years have not seen any sign of blue dye stains from jeans, so maybe it's a problem only in areas with hot humid summers where sweat is involved or with folks who pull on jeans over their wet swimsuits on the way home from the beach.

Mike, I just noticed that you are in Huntington Beach. Go on over to the Costa Mesa service center on Pullman Street and look inside the cars there. There was a red one with tan upholstery parked in front yesterday and it has the center console as well.

When I last had a test drive, they had a blue with tan demo car at the showroom on Pullman. If they don't have one now, call Fashion Island and see if they do.

Last edited:
Thanks for the tip Bruce! I was at Costa Mesa yesterday and they had (1) blue car there....with black seats. I will call Fashion Island and see what they have.

Thanks!

Mike

I have seen the tan version and it would be my choice with either blue or red paint and black headliner in the case of a Pano roof. The detailer at Costa Mesa delivery center told me that tan seats can pick up color from blue jeans, but with regular cleaning it is not permanent. Tan also will show dirt more, so you have expect to clean them more often.

On the other hand, we have tan leather in our Lexus and after 4 years have not seen any sign of blue dye stains from jeans, so maybe it's a problem only in areas with hot humid summers where sweat is involved or with folks who pull on jeans over their wet swimsuits on the way home from the beach.

Mike, I just noticed that you are in Huntington Beach. Go on over to the Costa Mesa service center on Pullman Street and look inside the cars there. There was a red one with tan upholstery parked in front yesterday and it has the center console as well.

When I last had a test drive, they had a blue with tan demo car at the showroom on Pullman. If they don't have one now, call Fashion Island and see if they do.

It really is a matter of personal taste. There is no wrong decision.

I have Steel Grey with beige leather and alcantara and love it. I had black on black for years and loved it. Though keeping the exterior clean was an exercise in futility. But now I prefer a lighter interior. I like the not only the airiness of it, but also the cooler interior. I've had white, blue, green, copper, black exteriors, and probably something else that I can't remember. But I have wanted an anthracite grey as in the Mercedes of the 70's (yup. I'm old) and the new Steel Grey works really well for me. Also, in the sun, there is a lovely bluish tint to it. Very happy.

Have fun!

I have seen the tan version and it would be my choice with either blue or red paint and black headliner in the case of a Pano roof.

Brucet999, I couldn't agree with you more. I ordered my 85D this weekend: New Blue with the tan interior AND black alcantara headliner AND pano roof!

If someone is going with the Panoroof, I think it's best to stick with the gray or tan interior. In the Florida sun anyway, a black interior is going to cook you despite the pano's killer job of filtering UV - especially if you're wearing shorts or a skirt!

Last edited:
now I am afraid of the tan seats. there is no way I would clean and / or condition the seats very often. My lcoal tesla rep also mentioned the blue jeans stain possibility.

See if you can talk with Kieth, the head of the detailing dept. at Costa Mesa delivery center. He told me the name of the cleaner he recommends for leather (but which I promptly forgot) and he can advise on the merits of paint treatments, if you are interested.